Side bending creases.

7 Posts
3 Users
18 Likes
Anonymous 14105
(@Anonymous 14105)
New Member Guest
Topic starter  

Hi everyone, this is my first topic and if it’s in the wrong spot please give me a heads up. I’m using a Ukulele build by way of practice for a grand concert 6 string. I started today and have already encountered a couple of problems. 
1. I’m using Mahogany for the back and sides and the grain seems to go in 2 directions so if o use a hand plane or thicknesser I get a lovely finish on some areas but some areas end up having fibres pulled up. I sorted it out with a belt sander but I’m wondering if this is a mahogany issue or something which happens with other species.

2. When hot pipe bending, it seemed more resistant than my practice pieces to bending and when I did eventually get a bend on it there was a compression crease on the inside of the bend. Can this be remedied and how do I avoid it?

I’ve had pieces crack but not crease before.

any help would be great!

thanks

M

mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

Welcome and cheers for the Q's!

Yup - Making Ukes is great practice and cheaper than guitars but it can be a lesson in humility... tighter bends, tinier everything... the good news is that when you go back to full size 6 strings it will seem easier!

1. It is common with any highly figured wood - Most guitar makers have a sander thicknesser to combat this. All our wood is sanded and thicknessed - ready to work on... if you don't see what you want just ask - I've a room full...

2. A crease is not easy to fix - if it is on the inside I suggest you ignore it - probably be just fine after you have given it a quick sand. Next time try using a slightly thinner piece.

I've had similar problems before especially with Mahogany and highly flamed Maple - fixed by using slightly thinner pieces

Measure twice, cut once...

tv1 and tv1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Anonymous 14105
(@Anonymous 14105)
New Member Guest
Topic starter  

@markbailey

thanks for the reply. Yep only just got the sides bent and it was rough going. I think there may be a bit to much spring back in them but they’re in the mold no ready for the next step.

one thing I’ve learned. Take the time to make a vending machine! 

This post was modified 4 years ago by Anonymous

tv1, mark bailey, tv1 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

@mvandenoudenhotmail-co-uk Check out the Bagpress videos - my next Uke will have laminated sides:

https://guitarmaking.co.uk/course/using-the-vacuum-press/

Measure twice, cut once...

tv1 and tv1 reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

Hi M,

Welcome to the clubhouse! If you can private message me the shape of the sides as a PDF then I'll have a go at laminating one from veneers. Let me know how thick you are finishing at if different to usual guitar side ie approx 2.5-2.8mm.

Regards

Darren

PS I love the idea of Uke vending machine!

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

And what you are experiencing with the tear out is due to the timber having what is know as interlocking grain ie it changes direction throughout the thickness of the timber. You can reduce the degree of tear out firstly by having a bloody sharp plane (and I mean shaving sharp!) and by planing at 45°-60° to the main grain direction. Scapers can also provide a good finish, again if used at an angle, but this is a laborious method to take timber down from 4 mm to 2mm!!

Darren

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

@mvandenoudenhotmail-co-uk I recommend that it dispenses very strong coffee and even stronger liquor!

tv1 and tv1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: