Share:
Notifications
Clear all

When the truss rod went in deeper than you remembered ...

22 Posts
10 Users
276 Likes
rockpile99
(@rockpile99)
Reputable Member Customer
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 494
Topic starter  
IMG 20210123 124502

Got 'over brave' trying to carve something that wasn't a baseball bat and I forgot that this truss rod was deeper than the last few I've bought ...

Bloody annoying as I'd done a really good job of fretboard, frets, and marker dots etc.

I know the neck is now firewood but does anyone have any tips to get he fretboard off without distroying it? 

Guitar making is the art and science of turning expensive wood into sawdust.

Deej, tv1, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

I'm feeling your pain there. It looks like you haven't actually carved as deep as the truss rod, so how about just filling in the hole.

ReplyQuote
Eddie6string
(@eddie6string)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 1551

Is it possible to do a decorative carve and fill with epoxy then reshape?

You'd have to stop anything bleeding into channel. 

Could be a very cool inlay

Deej, tv1, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

@rockpile99 Oh no! I don’t know about this myself but it will be good to hear from @markbailey so we can all learn from it. Even if it is knackered, I would keep it for cutting inlay dots out of, even from the fretboard. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

ReplyQuote
rockpile99
(@rockpile99)
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone.

I'm sure I could effect a cosmetic repair ... I guess doing it in a way that doesn't self-destruct on the first turn of the truss rod will be the key.

I use the same template for my necks, so if I can get the fret board off intact that can be re-used.

Now I've finished sulking with myself I'll hold off on the viking funeral and get my thinking cap on. 🙂

Deej, tv1, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 4965

Route out a fake skunk stripe? Stop just shy of the heel. Fretboard still flat unradiused? 

ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier

Route out a fake skunk stripe? Stop just shy of the heel. 

Adding a fake skunk stripe would be the best disguise, but I'm not sure that routing more material out of the neck would be a good idea. Personally I would try to find an offcut that best matches the grain and fit it in. With it being so close the the nut, I don't think that you need to worry about the truss rod pushing it out. Having said all that, I'm no expert.

ReplyQuote
USADave
(@usadave)
Estimable Member Customer
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 269

oh man! I am working on my first neck i am wondering if I removed too much material?! 

Thanks to Mark’s expert instructions this is my current state of play:

A5E32B08 D341 4714 A08F 2D2EEE098585
8DAD84E3 C2E9 4DB6 B540 91CA9FD8418D

I fortunately haven't blown through to the truss rod slot but I am wondering how thin is too thin when it comes to the wood between the bottom of the groove and the back of the neck? Your experienced opinions would be very much appreciated!

-D

ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier

Your experienced opinions would be very much appreciated

Hi Dave, I can only offer an inexperienced opinion. If you've been working to Mark's dimension I don't think you need to concerned about the thickness. Your neck carving is looking good. You've maybe taken the truss rod slot a bit too far into the headstock, hard to tell from the photo. I made a real mess of that part on my first build, but I filled it in, tidied it up and put a veneer over to hide the mess. It hasn't caused any structural problems.

20201018 173811

ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 4965

@Dave, there is generally give or take 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch of meat underneath the truss rod after the the neck is carved. Bare that in mind on your next build. The weakest point is in between the nut and the first fret. I tend to make sure that the thinnest point of the neck carve is just right after the first fret and have a gradual thickness going back towards the volute and the nut leading into the headstock. 

Deej, tv1, mattbeels and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
USADave
(@usadave)
Estimable Member Customer
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 269

Lol yeah.... Definitely a little too far! The plan is to compensate with a nice cover... 🙂

I definitely worked to marks dimensions but the stew mac hot rod truss rods seem a bit tall! That plus the fillet has me a little nervous. 

Thanks man!

-D

ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier

Hey Dave

Lol yeah.... Definitely a little too far! The plan is to compensate with a nice cover... 🙂

Put a veneer over it, the mess just disappears.

20201020 125656

Deej, tv1, USADave and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

Yeah - not a fan of that truss rod - too big for me.

Measure twice, cut once...

Deej, tv1, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

I'll talk about this on the livestream tomorrow if that is OK with you lot?

Measure twice, cut once...

Deej, tv1, Boo and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
rockpile99
(@rockpile99)
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

"I fortunately haven't blown through to the truss rod slot but I am wondering how thin is too thin when it comes to the wood between the bottom of the groove and the back of the neck? Your experienced opinions would be very much appreciated!"

Another inexperienced opinion; My last neck is around 19mm thick at the first fret with 6mm of that being fretboard. Plays lovely and no problems when adjusting truss rod. As my cock-up clearly demonstrates - it all depends on how deep your channel is ...

Deej, Boo, USADave and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
rockpile99
(@rockpile99)
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

I'll try and tune in to the Live tomorrow (missed the last few weeks because work has been so busy).

Here are a couple more pictures 

IMG 20210126 210820

Had this been my previous truss rod purchases which were 9mm high I still would have had at least 3mm of wood.

IMG 20210126 210851

I guess the lessons learned (apart from don't take too wood you plonker) are to not to "buy truss rods because they're in stock and you have a child free weekend coming up" and to write down how deep the truss rod channel actually ended up and keep the information handy for when you carve.

Koendb, Tej, Deej and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

I know the neck is now firewood but does anyone have any tips to get he fretboard off without distroying it? 

I did do that once - really just as an experiment to find out whether I could or not.

You're supposed to be able to do it by melting / loosening the glue.  Apply an iron to the frets, and let the heat work through the fretboard and into the glue layer.  As the glue loosens, try to work a blade (scraper) into the joint between fretboard and neck, and then gradually work your way up the fretboard, applying heat, loosening the glue and moving the scraper further up the neck.

You can also try removing some frets, drilling a (very) small hole in the fret slot and injecting steam, but that requires a bit more kit.

I took the fairly blunt approach of rigging up a jig to hold the neck vertically (along it's length) and then using the bandsaw to cut the fretboard off.  That's going to leave a bit of gunk on the underside of the board which then needs cleaning off, and you have to be *very* careful not to cut into the fretboard - but it worked.

That said, it's a load of aggro, and you'll probably need to re-level the frets when you re-apply the saved fretboard to another neck, so might not be worth doing?

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Koendb, Tej, Deej and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
rockpile99
(@rockpile99)
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

Thanks TV1 🙂

The fretboard still has plenty of meat on it, so trying removal might be worth a shot. Hadn't leveled yet so no time lost there thankfully.

Will save it for a rainy/bored day mini project though I think...

Koendb, Tej, Robin and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

After removing the fretboard it’s bound to go all wonky so if you were to reuse it you’d have to re-level the board and then refret it, ugh...

Remove it if you like for the experience but maybe Mark’s suggestion as an ornament is best.

Be creative: it could make a cool door handle for your shop or cut off the headstock and use the tuner holes as tool holders. 

Have fun!

Practice on scrap...

Koendb, Tej, Deej and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385

For what it’s worth I’ve removed the fretboard from an Encore strat copy I was donated. The truss rod adjuster was destroyed and there was some damage around the adjuster access along with a small chip. So I replaced the truss rod in it and remade the surround for the adjuster and put it back together.

I used the technique of heating with an iron and sliding a paint scraper down which works but is quite brutal to say the least. I needed to level and dress the frets after but as a first attempt at this repair it was quite successful.

The fretboard came off quite cleanly though and didn’t need a lots of elbow grease to clean up.

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

Koendb, Russ, mattbeels and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: