Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34813
Topic starter  

Here’s a tip for ya! 

Be very careful with fret wire, it’s extremely sharp on the ends. I sliced my hand open a few days ago with with a straight length of it, man it hurt and it’s still hurting now. Because of where it is, it’s taking ages to heal, it keeps opening up, especially when I wash my hands or have a shower. It doesn’t look like much, I know, but it’s really quite deep and quite painful, even days later. 

Here’s the tip. 

If this happens to you, whatever you do, don’t get paint thinner (reducer), spirit wipe, that hand sanitiser stuff uses to kill germs on hands (including covid) or anything else similar.

Why not?

😳😱🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱 That’s why, it really hurts to say the least.

You’re welcome.

Boo.

ps. Have any of you lot got any injuries at the moment?  

2B8FD9FB 4D15 48EF 9CE6 2B10D56637FC

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Russ, Koendb, Rocknroller912 and 7 people reacted
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3851

@boo. If I don't have some little injuries I think I'm doing something wrong. That's why I prefer mostly hand tools. At least I lose digits when I mess up. 🙂

And I have something to add to this list of things to not use.. but.. a little story first..

A couple of years ago my younger son went on a camping trip on his bicycle with some friends. Along the way he fell on the pavement and got pretty scraped up (don't worry, he is a tough little bugger). I drove down to see how he was doing and he was a little scraped up and he helmet was broken but he was laughing about it and playing with other kids when I got there. The bugs were pretty nasty that day so I asked if they wanted some bug spray... you know where this is going.... He trusted me and closed his eyes (apparently his first mistake) and I sprayed him down... then his eyes opened really wide and I realized what I did. He was fine in a couple minutes but all my kids use this against me to this day. I don't think I'll ever live that one down. 

so....... add bug spray to the list..... don't be like me.... 

🙂

Russ, Koendb, Robin and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 4954

My latest is accidentally grabbing the stem of the soldering iron with my fingertips. Happened last night. I seem to do that always.

Russ, Koendb, Robin and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  
Posted by: @bpower

He trusted me and closed his eyes (apparently his first mistake) and I sprayed him down... then his eyes opened really wide and I realized what I did. He was fine in a couple minutes but all my kids use this against me to this day. I don't think I'll ever live that one down. 

@bpower Oh no, I can imagine him opening his eyes in shock when the pain hit, ouch! I can see why they use it against you. 😂 

I will be aware of the bug spray, especially how I’m moving to Scotland, I’m going to need it. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 
I suspect sun tan lotion would be the same too. 

Russ, Koendb, Robin and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  
Posted by: @clinton

My latest is accidentally grabbing the stem of the soldering iron with my fingertips. Happened last night. I seem to do that always.

@clinton Oh yeah, I’ve done that before. It’s not a good trick really is it? 😂 

Hope you heal soon. 👍

Russ, Koendb, Robin and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16784

@boo 

I suspect sun tan lotion would be the same too. 

I wouldn't worry about it, you're less likely to need the sun tan lotion when you move up here.

Russ, Koendb, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  
Posted by: @robin

I wouldn't worry about it, you're less likely to need the sun tan lotion when you move up here.

@robin 😂 I was wondering who would be the first to point that out. 😂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👍

Robin, Russ, Koendb and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

Posted by: @boo

Have any of you lot got any injuries at the moment? 

@boo

I’ve done that a few times with fret wire it’s very painful. I used to get a lot of stitches in when I played rugby and the worst ones to heal are the ones with ragged edges. Getting anything inside the wound will stop it healing so only clean round the outside. Steri strips are a good thing to keep it your first aid box to pull the edges together.

Here’s the latest on my hand fracture. The bone was smashed into pieces so it set wrong and I have no knuckle left. Still can’t lift a beer glass.

AF8D18E1 A73A 4837 A479 0103C96944FE

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Robin, Russ, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

Autch guys! I do suffer from carpal tunnel and I should definitely get surgery for that, but I ve been postponing this since at least a decade if not longer. Other then that, no injuries so far

Robin, Boo, Robin and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  
Posted by: @rocknroller912

Steri strips are a good thing to keep it your first aid box to pull the edges together.

@rocknroller912 Oh yeah, that’s a great idea, I’ll buy some in. 

Here’s the latest on my hand fracture. The bone was smashed into pieces so it set wrong and I have no knuckle left. Still can’t lift a beer glass.

That’s the worst part, not being able to lift a pint. 👍

Koendb, Rocknroller912, Robin and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  
Posted by: @koendb

I do suffer from carpal tunnel and I should definitely get surgery for that, but I ve been postponing this since at least a decade if not longer. Other then that, no injuries so far

@koendb I bet that isn’t pleasant, you should definitely get that done soon. Glad you have no other current injuries. 👍

Koendb, Russ, Robin and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 I’ve just realised, using the thumbs up emoji at the end of my last reply to you was probably not the best option. Sorry. 😂

Koendb, Russ, Rocknroller912 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3851

@boo omg boo. that's awesome. 🙂

Koendb, Russ, Robin and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@koendb 

Ive had trigger finger surgery on my other hand, which is a similar operation, and it takes about a year to recover.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Koendb, Robin, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@boo 

I’m immune to emojis and other comments that might upset other people. 

Koendb, Robin, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

I’m immune to emojis and other comments that might upset other people.

@rocknroller912 Good for you. Nevertheless I thought I would offer my apology. (I just nearly did it again) 🙌

Koendb, Robin, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@boo

I think you might have opened a hornets nest here. It will be like a doctors waiting room soon.

Koendb, Robin, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

I think you might have opened a hornets nest here. It will be like a doctors waiting room soon.

@rocknroller912 You could be right.😂 

We could do with a resident doctor. 

Koendb, Robin, Rocknroller912 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

@boo Whoa! That’s a nasty paper cut you’ve got there! Make yourself feel better by having a big bag of chips with plenty of salt and vinegar and then rub some Ralgex into that aching back of yours! If you fancy some dessert then crepes with lots of hand squeezed lemon juice and a sprinkle of sugar are highly recommended!

TBS, I always find that the cleanest cuts are the worst, taking the longest to heal and hurting the most whilst doing so. Aforementioned paper cuts, shaving mistakes etc, there is so much less cut surface area to knit together than with an injury that is a bit more ragged.

Ok, confession time, although not woodwork related.

As a drunk, teenage student, I once put my hand through the guard of my two bar electric fire (the only heating in my room) to check whether or not the element was getting hot! I got quite a buzz and it could quite easily have been a Darwin Award nomination for me!

Mind you, it’s not that long since (and ‘cooking wine’ may also have been involved on this occasion) that I went to the loo after chopping lots of finger chillies for a big curry night we were holding! Now, I understand that milk offers some relief if you’ve eaten very hot chillies, but I’m not sure quite how I could go about using this as a comfort in this particular situation, especially whilst eating dinner! There are still certain social protocols that must be observed, and sitting at a dinner table with my wedding tackle secretly immersed in a pint glass of milk might be stretching the limits of acceptability just a little to far, even amongst good friends!! I mean, just how would you explain it? Add the complication of my ever present dogs Maddie and Dylan, who really love milk, and the entire event could be hugely misunderstood!!!!!!!

Darren

Koendb, Robin, Bpower and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

@darrenking Highly amusing sir! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂