7 Users
112 Likes
James
(@james-chacewatergmail-com-2)
Honorable Member
Technician
Rep Points: 720
Topic starter  

I know from a recent live stream that Mark isn't a huge fan of the safe T planer (despite it coming from StewMac 😜) but I've had one sitting in the shed unused for a couple of years.

I've decided that the next leg of my guitar building journey will revolve around practising skills rather than trying to build a top notch instrument first time.

So when I heard that my local hard wood flooring supplier was open again to browse for offcuts I picked some up to turn into neck blanks to test out curved truss rod slots, scarf necks, practise carving etc and avoid turning any more valuable AAA grade quarter sawn blanks into expensive firewood.

20201207 165538

I took on board people's concerns that the device was mis-named

20201207 173939

and built a jig thing on my drill press as StewMac advised.

20201207 165437

The large table allows plenty of space to keep my hands away from the sharp spinny bits and the drainpipe vacuum wotsit keeps the workspace clear.Β 

While not as pristine as a blank created with a pucker planer thicknesser, I'm well happy with the results and can now practise to my hearts content without ruining top class wood and wasting money.

20201207 173841
20201207 173650

Β 

Russ, tv1, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
James
Honorable Member
Technician
Topic starter  
20201207 175629

ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

COOL! Getting your workpiece flat and straight is half the battle - use whatever you have available 😎

Measure twice, cut once...

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

While not as pristine as a blank created with a pucker planer thicknesser, I'm well happy with the results and can now practise to my hearts content without ruining top class wood and wasting money.

Looking good James, that’s the first time I’ve heard good things about this device.Β 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Russ, mattbeels, Robin and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

I know from a recent live stream that Mark isn't a huge fan of the safe T planer

Nor me!

I think it was the winning finalist in a 'Design an Accident Waiting to Happen' competition. There are just so many things that could go horribly wrong, please be really careful. Just watching some of the 'instructional' videos on YouTube sends a shiver up my spine and if you can rig up a foot operated 'off' switch for your pillar drill than all the better!

One of the key things to consider when using any power tool or machine is 'What happens if something goes wrong?' For example with a bandsaw you always need to makes sure that you hands are never pushing directly towards the blade but rather to either side of it. That way if the wood suddenly splits or the blade breaks your hands are naturally moving towards a safe area.

If you are holding a piece of wood that suddenly grabs with a Safe T Planer then who knows where your hands may be dragged or how much damage may be done to your fingers, and as guitarists we like our fingers don't we?

Its very design involves a spinning thing with catchy bits on it and if, for example, the cuff of your sleeve was to get unexpectedly caught, it would just wind you in!

It really is one of the craziest bits of kit ever marketed to the amateur woodworking sector and you could never get away with having one in a commercial woodworking environment due to the risk assessment and the fact that you rely on using a machine in manner for which it was not designed ie applying side load on a pillar drill. Most chucks are held into these machines on a morse taper. No problem when the load in normal use is pushing the chuck tighter into the taper. However, introduce vibrating side loads with no tightening pressure and the chuck could actually come lose from the taper and drop out of the drill press. You then have a rather exciting(!) situation involving a fast spinning, heavy lump of metal with sharp bits on it bouncing around your workshop! I've seen this happen twice on my CNC router when the spindle has failed to pick up the tool holder properly and dropped it and trust me, it is a VERY worrying moment.

We are all (mostly) grown ups here and I fully respect peoples right to make their own decisions on these things but would I ever use, or allow someone under my supervision to use a Safe-T-Planer? Absolutely no way!

Darren

https://www.finewoodworking.com/forum/scary-wagner-safe-t-planer-accident

Russ, Peebee, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
James
Honorable Member
Technician
Topic starter  

Please stop sitting on the fence @darrenking and say what you think 🤣

I appreciate your comments but surely the shirt sleeves getting caught in spinny sharp things apply to any tool, routers, table saw etc and are not peculiar to this one.Β 

I'm not sure how the chuck could 'drop out' of the drill press when in contact with the material being planed.

Treated with mindful respect and used safely, surely it's a useful tool for those of us working in a small shed without access to milling machinery.Β 

And if the worst comes to the worse I'll get into Gypsy Jazz...... Django did ok with fewer fingers than some 🤣

Russ, Robin, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

Hi James,

It's more about where your hands are in relation to the dangerous thing and where they may end up if something goes wrong.

The chuck could loosen and drop out when you remove the material but whilst still spinning.

Look, I'm not saying that this tool will kill you, you may use it for years and it end up being your favorite bit of kit, but I have seen accidents happen before, which I could have helped prevent but didn't, and it is a truly sickening feeling and one I never want to experience again.

I just wanted to say that even bits of kit that look relatively safe (especially ones with the word 'safe' in their name) can be surprisingly hairy in use.

Cheers

Darren

PS The Django thing. He was really a pretty good guitarist prior to losing the use of his fingers. I don't think even he would have recommended it as a career move! 🤣Β 

Russ, Robin, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
James
Honorable Member
Technician
Topic starter  
  • I have seen accidents happen before, which I could have helped prevent but didn't, and it is a truly sickening feeling and one I never want to experience again.

Totally appreciate your concern mate and will heed your advice...... but they are some seriously smooth flat pieces of wood 🤣👌😀

Russ, Robin, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

I used a Safe T Planer once years ago at Lutherie school. I had made a neck through Explorer and used it to thickness the top and back of the body to match the neck cre after everything was glued up. It worked great and I don’t really remember doing it much but it was awkward and a bit scary.

Not nearly as scary as when I was cutting out pieces for a Neck Jig on the table saw. I don’t know what happened but it caught the wood and threw it at me, I blocked it and it fell back onto the table and then threw it in another direction across the shop. I don’t think I’ve ever been as scared as that, before or after and I have kids!

Practice on scrap...

Russ, Peebee, Robin and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Anonymous 14552
(@Anonymous 14552)
Active Member Guest

Can't sit on the fence either, I'm a toolmaker by trade but wood is a new material for me, it was me who mentioned the jigsaw on the live feed! Taper's are wonderfull things and used correctly tend to tighten but a side load on a morse WILL have a tendency to loosen. There's a daft lad on utube trying to demo the grab on a table saw, scary. Please be careful James, use a draw bolt, it can't work loose then.

Russ, Robin, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

For example with a bandsaw you always need to makes sure that you hands are never pushing directly towards the blade but rather to either side of it. That way if the wood suddenly splits or the blade breaks your hands are naturally moving towards a safe area.

Another thing not to do is ...

• leave the blade guard up high on the bandsaw, rather than lowering it as far as possible
  • spend an hour using an old (and getting quite blunt) bandsaw blade to rip some old doors into kindling sized pieces.
  • get quite bored doing that after the hour, and possibly not being paying complete attention
  • start having to push the wood quite forcefully as the blade got even blunter
  • turn round to pick up the next piece of wood whilst still pushing another piece through the blade
  • allow hand to slip from the pushing position, towards the blade ...

Β 

It was a bit "ouchy".

Luckily, my knuckle bore the main impact, and, with the blade being blunt, it didn't cut through the bone.

Β 

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

but I've had one sitting in the shed unused for a couple of years.

I've got one sitting unused in my workshop.

It'll probably stay sat!

ReplyQuote
James
Honorable Member
Technician
Topic starter  

I think I'll chalk this up as one of those 'wish I hadn't bothered posting' threads.....

Russ, Boo, Russ and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

@tv101 Shit TV!, was this a recent learning experience?!!

Russ, Boo, Russ and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

A couple of years ago @darrenking - so I was plenty old enough to have known better!

Robin, Russ, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

I think I'll chalk this up as one of those 'wish I hadn't bothered posting' threads.....

🤣 I think it’s probably best James. Having said that, it’s raised an important issue so it’s not waisted really. 👍

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Russ and Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: