Hello ya'll; In for the long haul

31 Posts
8 Users
346 Likes
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

The drawings should be printed on A4 size - sorry for any confusion...I will check out the typos you mentioned...where did you download the plans from?

Measure twice, cut once...

mattbeels, tv1, Tej and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
POCORANCH7
(@poco7)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 488
Topic starter  

@markbailey

Mark,

ty,

I'll check with the printers about the A4 designation; I downloaded the files from the link from the introduction home page, and then replaced it with the file[s] from the course itself;  from either Design  Your Own Guitar or Build Your Own Electric Guitar, i can't remember now.

My question is, in the tracings, considering the dimension mm's are correct, which aren't matching the scaled lines, should i use them or wait for a revised set from your course?

I have parts to verify with, but my concern is, thus the email...with the Neck slot...i'm new at this...

Thanks Mark

<>< matt scott

mattbeels, tv1, Tej and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
POCORANCH7
(@poco7)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

@markbailey

I think the scale at 11 x 17 seems to work, albeit with a few minor typo/glitches...probably a scaling/printing issue...I'm thinking i raised the ' red flag' a little to early...but i still appreciate you verifying,,,

mattbeels, tv1, Tej and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

@poco7

Try printing to A4 but with your printer set to "print actual size" , it may be set at "print to fit page" and upsetting the scale.

ReplyQuote
POCORANCH7
(@poco7)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

@Robin

I'm also finding out that international A4, is slightly different than USA Letter size

we are 8.5" x 11" 

where international is 8.25"  11.75"

so it's looking like a scaling issue more and more; i'm just worried about the Neck Slot

dimensions

mattbeels, tv1, Tej and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier

@poco7

I'm also finding out that international A4, is slightly different than USA Letter size

we are 8.5" x 11" 

where international is 8.25"  11.75"

I hadn't realised that you dont have A4 paper size.  But I still think that if you set your printer to "print actual size" then the paper size shouldn't matter. As long as you have the centre lines, then you can join the four pages of the body. 

mattbeels, tv1, Tej and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
POCORANCH7
(@poco7)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

@tv101

I really appreciate the reminder and tip re; making sure what you have clamped is actually clamped

mattbeels, tv1, Tej and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
POCORANCH7
(@poco7)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

@russ@mattbeels@Boo@Koendb@rocknroller912, (@russ),@tv1, @russ@mattbeels@Boo@Koendb, @markbailey

Problem Solved!

it was indeed " MY scaling issue," -  apologies to all for raising the Red Flag a little early...

I'll tell ya though, I really appreciate how so many brothers in arms came to comment with help and not obnoxious critiques...GREAT COMMUNITY FORUM you have here, Mark...

I went to my UPS store and the printer dude was able to print to 'actual size' on an A4 size paper space...as directed in the instructions...[ no doubt] 

Lessons Learned: Mark's instructions are exactly that...

Okie-dokie Smokey...

I'm ready to start my actual drawing and create some patterns, too...

Thanks for the encouagements,

I'll post a picture later of my drawing and parts, etc...I'm still modifying to a Les Paul Jr style with only the bottom cut-away.

Happy Trails

<>< Poco7

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

Wish I had picked up on this earlier. It can be very confusing as some UK institutions like banks still use the old letter size for printing which was pre decimalisation in 1970. It’s not much difference but enough to be very annoying if you need to be precise.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyQuote
POCORANCH7
(@poco7)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

@russ@mattbeels@Boo@Koendb@rocknroller912, (@russ),@tv1, @russ@mattbeels@Boo@Koendb

"Man, it's not as easy as it looks on Youtube, fer sure fer sure...You folks make it look EASIER;"

i know it's all Do-able...i had woodshop 50 years ago! and, I've built my share of some wood projects through the years...but...Wow...

I was doing some gluing and clamping tonight, building a Neck Blank from some Cherry wood, beautiful species. I need to cut and join a couple more pieces to get the proper width...

Next time I'll maybe throw a couple of NUBS from tiny dowels just to keep things from sliding around. 

I have some nice Mahogany Neck Blanks [sized, Picked them up for $20 ea] I picked up from a Luthier here in OREGON, they make BREEDLOVE Acoustic guitars...nice folks...

I don't want to use [maybe ruin] one of those Mahogany blanks for my first build - steep learning curve...so I'm going to glue, clamp, trace and carve...I haven't got a bandsaw yet...so, I'll either ask some woodworker to make some cuts or very slowly use my jig saw - as Mark highly suggests against - and I'll have to " Clean 'em up" more laboriously later...Can't spring fer one yet...a bandsaw...!

What's frustrating, is having to purchase from here instead of through GM. I would pay a small fortune in tariffs and taxes from Scotland to USA. It's the little things i hadn't thought about, i am now realizing is part 'n parcel with our builds... (I might order a shirt someday..that one little shirt, would now run me $56 !)

For example, I bought two Gretsch Humbucker pickups off Ebay - little did I know, no screws!; so i go to Stewmac and i have to choose between 9/16" or 11/16" ?? will it come back to haunt me later? I Don't Know!

Then, I ordered the wrong fretboard [too quickly - turned out to be a Fender style with a varied radii - sounded kool ...that's part of the earlier "lesson learned" re; paying closer attention to Mark's specifics ]...I'm now getting the 12" radius - per Mark's instructions -and ordering the nut , I picked a slotted-unbleached bone NUT, these both are kinda like a Gibson...according to Stewmac.

then before I ordered the knobs, right...already bought the wiring kit...so...there's various threads...course or fine?? 18 teeth or 24??  Man..I have Slowed down the process, I'm re-reading the specs on my Volume and Tuner pods...hadn't thought of that...and on and on...the little things.

..Dude! now, I'm ordering the truss rod - there's no way i want to cut my own - not yet,,,maybe later

...basically Need to know from ya'll..., if the one Mark calls out...

* From GM: Truss rod: Adjustable Aluminum box Channel; Two way adjustable, fits 6.3mm [1/4"] slot, suitable for longer scales or 24 fret guitars

Does the length have to be to the 24th fret ?  I was going to go 22 frets, then the end...

NOTE: The .pdf i downloaded from GM for the list:  " Wood and Parts for your First Guitar "  seems to have a typo at the fretboard length specs, it says: Fretboard: Rosewood 25" slotted with 12" radius

25" would take me to the bridge! Aghh! 

First, I'm going back over the Course videos this weekend too, for a clue re; the neck slot and distance calcs,, but,,,from NUT to Neck Slot, what length should I order the truss rod..or am I going to have to get a grip and just go ahead and learn to cut 'n thread them now - get it over with???

(from Stewmac: 17-3/16" (437mm) for Electric guitar, #1177-E Electric: For peghead or heel adjustment. This style of rod is found in many production guitars, and is also preferred by many custom builders because of its simple design and strength. So, I have to look elsewhere? the problem is, the length only takes me to about the 20th fret!)

Thank you, one and all for reading this...and comments...I have yet to layout the Neck slot...I'm working at finishing up my PLANS this weekend, I was trying to pre-order parts...

Blessings to ya - Happy Trails ?*&#! Frustration City today...I'm thinking this build will be a whitewash & Turquois finish [that's a Whole 'nuther challenge - way down the road]

So,

20210723 172742[1]

sorry about the venting - thanks for listening ..it's after  midnight here...what a joy to share this with ya'll...lol... Carry on! I just hope those Gretsch Humbuckers hold up through the years...More research...!

Mara'Natha 

<>< Poco7

mattbeels, tv1, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier

@poco7

Hi from sunny Scotland, that's an epic post there and a lot to answer. So I'll make a start and I'm sure the rest of the gang will join in.

NOTE: The .pdf i downloaded from GM for the list:  " Wood and Parts for your First Guitar "  seems to have a typo at the fretboard length specs, it says: Fretboard: Rosewood 25" slotted with 12" radius

25" would take me to the bridge! Aghh! 

The 25" mentioned for the fretboard will be referring to the scale length (which, as you say, would take you to the bridge) rather than the actual length, that will vary slightly depending on whether its a 22 or 24 fret.

I thought I had a truss rod here that I could have measured for you, but its already fitted and buried under my fretboard.

And you're not alone, its not easy.

Robin.

mattbeels, POCORANCH7, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: