Oh yes I'm full of it 😆 😉 - may be the brand name 🤔 

Tej, Koendb, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
cheesewhisk
(@cheesewhisk)
Estimable Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 1765

Hi @irishwhiskeycoke welcome to the revolution. I hadn't done any woodwork since GCSE about 30 years ago but I've managed to bumble along here (with a lot of help.) For bandsaw I found that Aldi occasionally do a really decent Ferrex 'my first bandsaw' that's pretty reasonable too, the only problem is that they're online only and disappear almost as soon as they appear but it does look like they'll be a newer one soon https://www.aldi.co.uk/ferrex-bandsaw/p/810249541009800

Tej, Koendb, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Chris Higgins
(@irishwhiskeycoke)
Adept
Rep Points: 176
Topic starter  

Thanks Cheesey😳

I thought about Aldi where else can you go for some milk n crisps and end up with a Mig Welder and a pair of ladders

👍

Rocknroller912, Tej, Koendb and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385

@irishwhiskeycoke

Hey, so my current build was all done with an Aldi bandsaw, the only Aldi power tool I’ve had that’s not died or tried to kill me. I replaced the blades with ones from https://www.tuffsaws.co.uk which have been great.

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

mattbeels, Russ, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Chris Higgins
(@irishwhiskeycoke)
Adept
Topic starter  

Thanks Tej...Ive had a couple of Aldi tools die on me too but apart from a dodgy yoghurt nothing tried to kill me 😉 👍 

mattbeels, Russ, Koendb and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34813

I’m not a fan of budget range power tools from Aldi or Lidl any more. It was a novelty at first but over time they are not good tools. They break, burn out or become frustrating to use. It’s a false economy, just like anything really. Like @markbailey always says, buy the best tools that you can afford. That doesn’t mean go and blow all your rent money on expensive power tools, just buy within your means and get the best quality tools you can afford. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, Russ, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier

@boo I agree with you but my Aldi band saw has been a cracking little tool for the £60 or whatever I paid for it. Admittedly it was the size that appealed more than anything when I got it, at that time I had no idea I’d be using it for cutting out guitar parts. Would I buy one again if aliens disintegrated it, if was still restricted on space absolutely. If not I’d buy one bigger as it was on the absolute limit cutting out the neck blank!

ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier

apart from a dodgy yoghurt nothing tried to kill me

@irishwhiskeycoke Clearly you’ve not tried their router!

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

I agree with you but my Aldi band saw has been a cracking little tool for the £60 or whatever I paid for it. Admittedly it was the size that appealed more than anything when I got it, at that time I had no idea I’d be using it for cutting out guitar parts. Would I buy one again if aliens disintegrated it, if was still restricted on space absolutely. If not I’d buy one bigger as it was on the absolute limit cutting out the neck blank!

@tej OK, that’s fair enough, it sounds like it’s working for you. I get it about not having much space, it can be one of the biggest problems for people building guitars or for any woodwork etc. It’s not really something you can have in the house either. I have my indoor space to work, it’s only a small box room but it’s only for tinkering with guitars, there are definitely no power tools. My garage is my outside workspace, as well as the garden sometimes, but half of that is a storage space. I think every so often, a man (or woman) needs to buy a new shed, it’s definitely something to add into household political debate and be negotiated upon. 😉👍 It could mean the difference between a small Aldi bandsaw, that has its limitations and a bigger, more powerful one that can handle bigger and better cuts. 

Oh, and I think the aliens are already here, they just aren’t hostile. 😁🤝👽

mattbeels, Russ, Tej and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Clearly you’ve not tried their router!

@irishwhiskeycoke @tej Yep their routers are set to kill, as well as their drills. 👎

mattbeels, Russ, Tej and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Chris Higgins
(@irishwhiskeycoke)
Adept
Topic starter  

@boo@tej...so are their yoghurts!...ask Ernie

mattbeels, Russ, Tej and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
jamesbisset
(@jamesbisset)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 1440

Ummm… Aldi Ferrex 120mm depth bandsaw (£149 plus delivery) is currently on the website. I might of just bought one.

*whistles*

Jack of all trades and master of my own destiny. It’s only a small destiny.

mattbeels, Koendb, Tej and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@jamesbisset

Never mind if it doesn’t go well you can always write a song about it and keep us all entertained on Acoustic Bliss.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

mattbeels, jamesbisset, Robin and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
jamesbisset
(@jamesbisset)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 1440

@rocknroller912 sounds like an expensive technique. I think I’ll stick to beer if it’s all the same to you. 😉

Jack of all trades and master of my own destiny. It’s only a small destiny.

Koendb, Bpower, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: