13 Users
586 Likes
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819
Topic starter  

My truss rod arrived today, so slot routed and fillet made. My routing jig slipped by about 1mm when I clamped it, so new centreline drawn. I can visualise all my good clamps hanging in my caravan shed.

20231120 180509

Boo, Peter C-F, NSJ and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

The neck is cut to rough shape, so time to get on to the bit I've been putting off.

20231123 130503

Boo, Russ and swepri reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

So it turns out that bending sides isn't as difficult as I had imagined. The cut away was a wee bit tricky getting the tight bends in just the right place, but just takes patience.

20231123 160733
20231123 160705

Boo, Peter C-F, Russ and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 28661

You've done an excellent job of those sides @robin for a first-time......or even a second, third, fourth or umpteenth time......and those are extremely impressive moulds too.

🎶🙂🎸🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

Boo, Robin and swepri reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@russ 

Thansks Russ, the molds were probably harder to make than bending the sides. I got a bit of a fright when I realised that cutaway on the mold is a slightly different shape on my original drawing. I had forgotten that I'd changed the radius to suit my 70mm diameter bending iron. However, I've still to cut the cutaway on the back and soundboard, so all is well.

I made the workboard and shim today. I didn't have any 3mm hardboard, so I've used 5mm foam board for the shim. I know @markbailey says don't use any thicker than 3mm, but I think that if I put a bit 2mm offcut from my sides on the middle of the board, then that would compensate. I can glue that onto the paper so I don't forget to add it.

20231124 170034

Boo, swepri and Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

I had a practice shot at a the rosette today, turned out not too bad. I bought a circle cutting guide for my dremel, it works quite well but the depth and radius adjustment is quite basic and needs a lot of care. For the inlay I cut some strips of mahogany and maple and sanded them all the the same thickness then routed a slot width equal to the combined thickness of the seven strips. Tomorrow I'll try to duplicate this on the soundboard.

20231126 153621
20231126 142321
20231126 143849
20231126 160435

Boo, swepri, Russ and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier

Very neat practice run @robin

🙂🎶🙏🎸

Boo, swepri and Robin reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Routed the groove for the rossette, lovely clean crisp edges and 2mm deep. Dry fitted the mahogany and maple inlays, all fitted nicely. Then the messy business of gluing it in, making sure all the faces got a covering of glue. It was a bit fiddly getting the last piece in as it had all swollen with the glue, so it was a real tight fit.

20231127 153405
20231127 154043

Boo, swepri, Rocknroller912 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

Glad to see you are doing an acoustic Robin, it’s looking good so far. 

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Boo, Russ, Robin and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 

Glad to see you are doing an acoustic Robin, it’s looking good so far. 

Its been a long term project but I've managed to spend some time on it lately. Its a whole different game from building electrics, a lot more challenging. I've reached the point now where I'm beginning to believe I can actually do this though.

20231128 133007

Boo, Peter C-F, Rocknroller912 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

I've been gluing on grafts and braces and all been going well. I got to the point where I didn't have enough long braces so made another one. And then this morning, disaster, some you in Scotland might have heard me cursing myself. Despite @markbaileys many warnings that the soundboard is delicate at this stage, I think my hand slipped while dry clamping the last transverse brace, BANG !!!, the soundboard split. I've calmed down now, had a cup of tea, and glued it with hide glue, I think that'll be less visible than the titebond original. Once its dried I'll reassess and think about carrying on or starting again

20231205 142429
20231205 143057
20231205 144709

Boo, Russ, swepri and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Peter C-F
(@peter-c-f)
Trusted Member Customer
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 325

Posted by: @robin
And then this morning, disaster, some you in Scotland might have heard me cursing myself.

Aah, so THAT was that odd noice this morn'  (thought it was a helicopter flying over).  Hide glue should help give a strong bond and still have some flexibility for the vibrations of the board to work through the board without any aditional (unwanted) sounds.  And to top it, hide glue does not show up when staining the wood too.

This post was modified 5 months ago by Peter C-F

Boo, Russ, swepri and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@peter-c-f 

I've got the last transverse brace glued across the break now and its looking okay. I'll get the X braces on tomorrow, that'll put some strength into it and I'll can breath again.

Boo, Russ, Peter C-F and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

The X braces are glued on now, one at a time, I won't carve them yet, wait until I'm ready for assembly. The repaired split in the soundboard isn't quite invisible but it isn't obvious either, so I'll carry on with the build. I'll let my fingers rest for a couple of days then get started bracing the back.

20231206 133630
20231206 163053
20231206 164500

Boo, Peter C-F, swepri and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Back grafts and braces glued on now. The back is made from three pieces, so grafts at the two joins rather than one central graft. A bonus of having two back grafts is that they stopped the braces sliding about while I was glueing them.

20231210 163848

Boo, Peter C-F, swepri and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

I've had a go at making kerf lining with my version of a jig that was in a video that @swepri posted a few days ago. My first attempt kerf lining isn't as bendy as I'd hoped it would be. The convenient size bit of scrap I had laying about is quarter sawn, I'm thinking that flat sawn would be a better idea.

20231210 182804
20231210 182916

Boo, Peter C-F, Russ and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier

Posted by: @robin

My first attempt kerf lining isn't as bendy as I'd hoped it would be.

@robin

Hi Robin, I cut my kerfed lining to 0.5mm thick. You have to be very careful with it but it is very bendy. 

🎶🙂🎸🙏

Boo, swepri, Robin and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@russ 

Hi Robin, I cut my kerfed lining to 0.5mm thick. You have to be very careful with it but it is very bendy. 

I reckon I'm not far from 0.5mm and it probably is bendy enough for going round the bouts, I'll just have to be more careful round the cutaway. I've been googling to find a preferred grain direction but haven't found anything definitive. Someone had been checking their bought stuff and the grain direction seems to be random. They're conclusion was that kerf linings are made from timber that isn't suitable for necks etc.

Russ, Boo and swepri reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

@robin I’m amazed with this acoustic build of yours, I’m slowly being convinced to have a go myself. 

And……. I recognise that bandsaw. Still going strong is it? 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

swepri, Russ and Robin reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@boo 

I’m amazed with this acoustic build of yours, I’m slowly being convinced to have a go myself. 

The acoustic build is so different from the electric, a whole range of new challenges, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I'd recommend anyone who's thought about to go ahead and do it.

And……. I recognise that bandsaw. Still going strong is it? 

The band saw has been great, but I did have to do a bit repair after the blade guides broke off, the blade now runs in a slotted bit of brass, makes a nice vertical cut though.

I've been carving the back braces today, I find it quite therapeutic carving with a good sharp chisel, and I've still got all the fingers that I started with.

20231211 164458

Peter C-F, swepri and Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 8
Share: