BYOEG Black Stealth

309 Posts
15 Users
3456 Likes
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

@boo I'd suggest doing a full size drawing - it will likely work itself out during the process...then you can take a pic so we can see how it looks.

Measure twice, cut once...

tv1, mattbeels, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 4954

@boo Another beauty

ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier

@boo Stunning! Simplicity at it’s finest. Love it!

ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28600

Looking great @boo. Love the strings. 

🎶🙂🎸🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

tv1, mattbeels, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34813
Topic starter  
Posted by: @clinton

Hi never made a baritone before. I made a 32 inch scale lenght bass bandsman and used a 23 11/16 inch truss rod that just made it spot on for a 24 fret with a standard neck heel for the fretboard. For a a Baritone an 18 inch truss rod will work if the adjustment access is at the heel of the neck. Otherwise Bitterroot truss rods make a 20 1/8 inch specifically for 27inch scale lenght baritone guitars

@clinton Oh my mistake, I knew you had done a bass version but I though you had done a baritone as well, I must be getting you mixed up with someone else. 

Those basses you have built are just incredible and I must attempt to follow your lead on them and have a go myself. I may be the first to attempt a baritone then? 

*Note to self: Bring it on, you are ready. 🙌

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  
Posted by: @markbailey

I'd suggest doing a full size drawing - it will likely work itself out during the process...then you can take a pic so we can see how it looks.

@markbailey Yep, it’s always you that brings me down to earth again and of course you are right. The last few builds I did from in my head, not from a drawing. I actually can’t remember the last time I used a drawing, maybe not the right thing to do. 
I think with doing something out of the ordinary like a baritone though, I really should use a drawing. 
I will defo do a drawing and post it on here. 
I’m wondering if the extra length of the neck would make the guitar top heavy, that may depend on type of woods used though. I want it to be as light as possible but it must be balanced. 

It’s exciting to have a challenge like this, and I’m up for it. 💪

tv1, tyreman, mattbeels and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Stunning! Simplicity at it’s finest. Love it!

@clinton Thanks man. I like making more elaborate and challenging guitars to improve my skills but there is also a challenge to make a simple guitar well. This guitar was a challenge and there are some bits of it I would do better if I did it again but I’m happy with the outcome and that the new owner loves it too, that’s the most important thing. 
A guitar like this is so easy to own, a great little all day rocker! It’s just one of those guitars you can just pick up, plug in, turn the volume up and play. No fancy wiring for tonal options, nothing but one volume knob (and a killswitch in this case). I love it. 

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  
Posted by: @russ

Love the strings

@russ Yeah, they were an after thought but I think they suit the guitar down to the ground. They actually sound and play well too. I wasn’t sure if the coating would dull the sound/tone but no, they sound great. 

ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 28600

Posted by: @boo

@russ Yeah, they were an after thought but I think they suit the guitar down to the ground. They actually sound and play well too. I wasn’t sure if the coating would dull the sound/tone but no, they sound great.

Cheers @boo.

They would look great on my POW! PopArt guitar.......if I ever get round to making it. 🤣😁 

🎸🙂🎶🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier

@boo btw, the hidden neck tenon, kill switch and the matte black gloss finish is ace! Well done my friend. Let me know when you build a bandsman baritone. I will make one with you. Used to own a Danaelectro double neck baritone/regular guitar. OMG! That thing was wonderous to play. Need a baritone. Lets do it bailey bandsman style.

tv1, mattbeels, Robin and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

btw, the hidden neck tenon, kill switch and the matte black gloss finish is ace! Well done my friend. Let me know when you build a bandsman baritone. I will make one with you. Used to own a Danaelectro double neck baritone/regular guitar. OMG! That thing was wonderous to play. Need a baritone. Lets do it bailey bandsman style.

@clinton All of those things were a first for me but that’s what it’s all about, doing new things. Hiding the tenon in the way I did was an experiment, I wasn’t sure it would work but I tried it anyway. At some point I will try it another way, fitting a top over the body to hide the joint. The killswitch was easy to do and I learned a new wiring trick for it, it’s the best way apparently. I used normal black paint with a matt clear over it. 
Yeah I’m definitely going to make a baritone as soon as I get opportunity and it will be cool if we both make one at the same time, great idea. 

When you made the bass bandsman’s, did you have any issues with them being top heavy? When they are on the strap and you stand up, did the headstock end fall towards the ground? If you didn’t have this issue with a bass version then I can’t see it happening with a baritone version either. 

I’m wondering whether I need to alter the size/shape of the upper horn to give it more balance. 

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  
Posted by: @russ

They would look great on my POW! PopArt guitar.......if I ever get round to making it.

@russ Yeah they would look great on your POW guitar, without a doubt, go for it. 

I’ve just bought another set, different colour this time. I’ll put them on this guitar. 

AA5E2D5E 800B 425F B0B1 41634CDB9E3A
6037D7CA D612 40DC 9C64 D9EFC42AB99D

ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier

I’m wondering whether I need to alter the size/shape of the upper horn to give it more balance. 

Exactly! Thats what I did. The last bass I made was actually based on a Bandsman shape with a slightly larger scale and a much longer upper horn. 

ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier

Exactly! Thats what I did. The last bass I made was actually based on a Bandsman shape with a slightly larger scale and a much longer upper horn for a much better balance of a longer scale lenght.

8D0257AC 8EB0 4E6A B4BC 8A7AB7A5616B

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Exactly! Thats what I did. The last bass I made was actually based on a Bandsman shape with a slightly larger scale and a much longer upper horn for a much better balance of a longer scale lenght.

@clinton Excellent! Thanks for that confirmation. I think if I go somewhere in between, extend the horn but maybe not as much as your bass. I’ll definitely have to do a drawing for this one. I wonder if there is a way to calculate the balance of a guitar when designing it or if it’s trial and error. Maybe there are too many variables to calculate it first, don’t know. 

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Here is a short video of my customer enjoying his new guitar, he is very happy with it. 💛🤘😁🤘🎸🐝🖤

tv1, mattbeels, Clinton and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16787

@boo  Sounds great boo.

tv1, mattbeels, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bpower