tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Rep Points: 18593
09/05/2021 6:36 pm  

Do you think I’ve got to many ?

No such amount exists ...

You have planned wisely to be able to meet future needs.

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Tej, Deej, Koendb and 4 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 4032
17/05/2021 12:37 am  

Planing fretboard the hard way but it’s good fun. It is of course my cheapest and nastiest bit of rosewood being a practice build. A very old piece from Touchstone Tonewoods some time in the 90s. I think fret slotting will be challenge as it’s already tapered. Much measuring and lining up before cutting.

84C79876 9840 44B7 9495 6AF4AFB3EA48

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Tej, Boo, Deej and 4 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 4247
17/05/2021 12:49 am  

That’s one of my favourite tools - the little Lie Neilsen scraper plane. Once you have learnt how to sharpen it properly it can change your life!!

Tej, Boo, Deej and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
17/05/2021 1:28 pm  

@darrenking

Thanks for your comment. I’ve found the blade very difficult to sharpen even with a small roller jig and a diamond stone, so would be grateful for any professional tips that you can pass on. Doesn’t hold its edge at all and I wondered if the blade hasn’t been tempered correctly. Now that businesses are starting to open I’m thinking of buying some tool steel and making one.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 4247
17/05/2021 3:00 pm  

Hi @Rocknroller912

The key thing is not to sharpen it like a normal plane. Yes the steel will be softer that you may be used to but it needs to be, otherwise you would stand no chance of turning the edge over to create the burr and hook which are what actually do the cutting. The instructions on the StewMac site are pretty good, if not slightly daunting, but the process if pretty straight forward once you've got the knack. I am sure there will be loads of YouTube videos showing how it done also. You can also get a simple rod burnisher from Axminster that does a perfectly good job so you don't really need the fancy angled SM gizmo shown in the pictures.

https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-ideas/online-resources/how-to-install-and-repair-instrument-binding-and-purfling/how-to-sharpen-a-scraper.html

If you are already doing all the above then it could be that your burnisher isn't hard enough or that you aren't getting the edge of the blade 'sharp' enough before turning the burr. I put 'sharp' in inverted commas because the angle of the bevel is probably only 15° off being square so it isn't 'sharp' in the way that a chisel is sharp. However, it does still need to be honed to a fine finish as this is what dictates how cleanly it will cut.

Once set up and sharpened correctly a scraper plane will take the beautifully thin shavings off even the most troublesome of timbers so it's worth persevering with.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Darren

ReplyReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
17/05/2021 3:34 pm  

@darrenking

Thanks I see now what I’ve been doing wrong and it should be turned like a hand scraper blade. It didn’t come with any instructions and I’ve been trying to get a normal edge. It’s my roughing out plane for pernambuco violin bows so goes blunt quickly as it’s a difficult wood to work. In the school they keep you apart from violin makers so you can’t ruin their tools. I can do hand scrapers so off to give it a try now.

Boo, Deej, Koendb and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Luthier
Rep Points: 1880
18/05/2021 1:49 am  

Being a tool junkie I bought a very nice carbide scraper burnisher from Workshop Heaven, but it seems you can use pretty much anything that's hard enough.

https://paulsellers.com/2015/02/scraper-burnishers-that-work/

Koendb, Rocknroller912, mattbeels and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
26/05/2021 6:57 pm  

I do like to do things the hard way. Radius the fretboard by hand. Can anyone spot the mistake.

Thanks to @darrenking for instruction on how to sharpen the Nielsen scraper blade I’m cooking on gas now.

F24DE39C 50E0 4AFB 86B9 B7F8CBD3E773

Koendb, mattbeels, Boo and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 15244
27/05/2021 12:10 am  

Can anyone spot the mistake.

A 21 and 9/10ths fretboard @rocknroller912

Pratice on scrap...

Tej, Koendb and Russ liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
27/05/2021 2:29 pm  

@mattbeels

Well spotted you have a keen professional eye. I got carried away with the fret saw and didn’t look at the pencil mark. I will have to think of a cover up but it’s only a practice build before I use the good stuff so I expected to have a mistake.

Koendb, mattbeels, Tej and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
27/05/2021 8:01 pm  

Hand sanding the radius, nearly there. Have to stop and get ready for music zoom then Acoustic Bliss.

95469076 0F3B 45C5 977A AB1D870DE4F6

Koendb, Tej, mattbeels and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
28/05/2021 10:34 pm  

Selecting wood from the scrap pile for my practice build body. It’s 35 mm thick so I should be able to plane the holes out and join two bits. It used to be as school bench.

C30F6E82 DB3A 4D33 9B34 EC53A5DC21B6

Tej, mattbeels, Robin and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 3156
29/05/2021 8:41 am  

It could look really cool if you can preserve that top with all the holes, scratches and dings, combine it with aged hardware. Even if it  is just a practice build, you can make it look really nice 😎 

I will probably do the same thing now, practice planing, radiussing, flattening and refining my skills on less then stellar wood.

Tej, mattbeels, Robin and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
29/05/2021 1:03 pm  

@koendb

That’s an interesting idea which didn’t occur to me. I’ve heard of builders ageing new instruments to look old but I’m not up to date with the current trends as I’m not an electric player. The photo doesn’t show how extreme the damage is, there are some nails so I will have to use a rough belt sander to take the thickness down to join a back or front plate or it will be too thin.

I would be interested to read some other opinions on building an aged instrument and if anyone wants to try it I’ve got a fair size bit to spare. I’ve never seen ready made aged hardware either so would be interested in any links to firms that sell it.

mattbeels, Tej, Robin and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
01/06/2021 10:36 pm  

Slow progress on the build due the gardening season, routing out the head thickness. There’s still 2 mm to remove but when the neighbours start looking out of their windows and it’s after 9pm maybe it’s time to stop making a noise.

A57DEC90 D007 4AC9 BF18 5A53F9B916BA

Blake, mattbeels, Tej and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4