54 Likes
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896
Topic starter  

Once upon a time, a long long (long) time ago - OK, about 2007 - I made my first guitar, on my first Bailey BYOG course.

Back then, if someone gave me a piece of wood, and a saw, and asked me to cut the piece of wood in half ... something would have gone wrong.  Generally it would have involved swearing.  The swearing might have come before or after the blood.

But, after a week in Mark's workshop, I managed to leave with this.  Pretty simple, solid Ash body, maple neck, ebony fretboard.

IMG_3708.JPG

That was the start of a journey that I'm still on, and still enjoying, today.

There's been a lot less swearing, and barely any blood at all.

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Russ, Djacko, mark bailey and 5 people reacted
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Build #1 taught me that I *could* build a guitar.  To be honest, and despite all the assurances from Mark and Carol prior to the course, I'd never really believed that I *could*, so that was a big step.

But when I got home, I realised that I learned that I *could*, and not really the detail of "how" to actually build, starting from scratch, in my own workshop (shed), without a Mark looking over my shoulder every step of the way.

So I returned, about 6mths later, and re-did the course.

IMG_3809.JPG

That build was slightly more complicated.  The top is "Amazique" and it weighs about the 3 tons.  Body/neck is mahogany.  

I'm currently considering removing that top and replacing it with something slightly lighter (which wouldn't be difficult) and perhaps changing the pickup configuration too.  But more on that later.

That build was really the start of my build-it-myself guitar building journey.

Russ, mark bailey, John and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Back at home, in my very own shed, my first build was a cheat.

Img_3070a.jpg

A (Cherry) Tele - because guitars don't get much simpler - with I think a bought-in neck.

You can call me a cheat if you like, but I already did that myself.

Looks like the neck p'up was a leftover from build #2 too, so I was hardly over-investing in this one.

ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Topic starter  

And self-build #2 ...

IMG_2035.JPG

Yes, it's another Cherry Tele.

But this one was a little more adventurous, being a chambered Tele body and my own neck.  You can tell it's my own neck, because I *always* put the fret dots in the same position.

SSL21177.JPG

ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Topic starter  

I built a few more Teles, but that bit of the journey is like a train trip through some really boring countryside.  Best skipped over.

Back to Mark's workshop for Build #3.  This was just a self-treat, an excuse for a holiday, and excuse to spend a week in a workshop with a great bunch of people (it's *always* a great bunch of people on Mark's courses - he obviously operates some sort of clever selection process) and go back home with another great guitar ...

DSC_3183.JPGDSC_3193.JPG

That one is a bit special (aren't they all), with the through neck and midi pickup.

It should really be everything that anyone could need in a guitar.

But then, what would be the excuse for building more guitars??

Russ, Djacko, mark bailey and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Topic starter  

So of course there have been more ...

... and as soon as I can work out how to embed more images from a different image hosting site, I'll be back with some more photos ...

ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Topic starter  

... back with some more!  These are a mixture of builds and saves - guitars rescued after someone else had got a so far, and then realised that something had gone a little awry on their way there

A chambered Strat-ish, Walnut over Ash, with a stunning flamed Maple neck (not one of my own!) and a StewMac 5-way megaswitch that gives some really useful pickup combinations.

This one was a save, and then I had to save the rebound too when I messed up the original save!  If you look closely, you might notice that the lovely birdseye maple cap is thicker at the bottom of the body than at the neck.  That was the first save required - the neck had been set into the body at the wrong angle.  I'll admit to the second save if anyone notices what it was ...

This one also needed a save - almost the opposite problem of the one above.

I enjoy the saves as much as - probably more than - the pure builds.  Taking something that had gone a little off-course and getting back to being a playable guitar.

This one has a stunning cap, that would have been well beyond my budget if not for the defect that's visible on the upper edge.  Arm rests there when playing though, so no-one ever notices ...

These next 3 have all be finished this year - there are some upsides to being locked down ...

Pretty simple, but a lovely piece of Korina ...

... and what a neck ...

Don't panic, no Brazilian roses were harmed in creating this piece of stunning neck work - it's Indian Rosewood.  Beautiful!

A red 'un

[img] [/img]

And last, but not least, this is a single piece of (local) Walnut over a Korina body

Robin, Russ, darrenking and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bill Flude
(@frocesterbill)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3827

You’ve been busy - lovely lot of guitars......

Been on two Baileys workshop courses and hope to do another next year.  Agree about the friendliness of the whole experience.

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

ReplyQuote
John
 John
(@johnbarr2004)
Enthusiast
Rep Points: 31

Wow - what a fantastic guitar collection!

ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Topic starter  
Posted by: @johnbarr2004

Wow - what a fantastic guitar collection!

Posted by: @frocesterbill

You’ve been busy - lovely lot of guitars......

Been on two Baileys workshop courses and hope to do another next year.  Agree about the friendliness of the whole experience.

Thanks guys - all Mark's fault!!

There are 5 more in-build in my "workshop" at the moment.  One of the benefits of lockdown is that I've got a lot more time than usual.

ReplyQuote
John
 John
(@johnbarr2004)
Enthusiast

As I live in Austria I do the Bailey courses on-line, and my house is now full of guitars. Do you keep yours, sell them, give them away? 

ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Topic starter  

As I live in Austria I do the Bailey courses on-line, and my house is now full of guitars. Do you keep yours, sell them, give them away? 

Are you "AustrianJohn" on another UK guitar forum?

I've given away a couple, sold a couple (but - deliberately - not for much!), kept a few, and recycled some as well.  I build them for the challenge and satisfaction of creating something tangible ... with the hope that each one I build will be a little better than what I've built previously.

ReplyQuote
John
 John
(@johnbarr2004)
Enthusiast

AustrianJohn? Yes. Hi, Tony (I think I recognise some of your guitars.?)

I guess many guitar builders have this problem. If a golfer spends a weekend golfing, not a lot changes. If a guitar builder spends a weekend in their workshop, the world has one more guitar. I’ve been doing a music MA at WaterBear in Brighton (remotely) this last year, so I’ve only built one guitar (for a friend). And I do guitar tech work for a few local bands that keeps me busy. Just starting the design for a 5 string neck thru bass for me.  Looking forward to cutting wood!

ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Just starting the design for a 5 string neck thru bass for me.  Looking forward to cutting wood!

That’ll be good to see.  Make sure you put some pics up (here and there!) when you get started.  Bass designs seem to often be more adventurous than 6-string designs.

ReplyQuote
Share: