32 Posts
6 Users
320 Likes
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

@wolframmalukker Good idea to sleep on it first. We all make mistakes, part of building is hiding or fixing mistakes.
Keep going !

mattbeels, Boo, Robin and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16811

@wolframmalukker

We all have our moments, you did the right thing packing up and going home. In my experience, once you've had a sleep, you'll wake up and know how to fix it.

mattbeels, Boo, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Posted by: @wolframmalukker

I was so disgusted with myself after that mess that I packed up and went home. I'll take a photo of the damage tomorrow and see what I can do to fix/hide it.

@wolframmalukker Don’t beat yourself up about it too much man, it’s all fixable. You did the right thing by walking away. Sleep on it and things won’t look as bad. 
We all do similar mistakes from time to time, that’s what is good about this forum, we all come here to share the bad things as well as the good things. We support each other, learn from mistakes and continue to improve, as a group and individually. 
Don’t sweat it man, keep on rockin’. 👍 

Boo. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Koendb, mattbeels, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
WolframMalukker
(@wolframmalukker)
Reputable Member Customer
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 369
Topic starter  

It definitely could have been worse, I could be getting out the wood bleach to remove bloodstains.

Pretty ugly looking, but would be completely hidden after fitting the neck into the body.

There is still about 2mm of shoulder that needs to be cut and squared up, so add 2mm between the gash and the shoulder of the neck tenon.

The body/neck join is at the 14th fret, and the last fret on the board is the 19th. I've cut the fretboard at the location of the 20th fret, it just looked right that way.

Time to finish the rough carving of the neck, best to get all the chances to ruin it out of the way before I get too far in.

mattbeels, Russ, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3860

@wolframmalukker. That doesn't look too bad. If it is going to be fully covered with the fretboard anyway I would consider just leaving it.. but.. I know if it was me and I would be consistently thinking about it.. I would repair it. It would be fairly easy to square off the blemish on both sides of the truss rod slot and remove the piece and make a simple rectangle "filler" piece to glue in there. It would be mostly cosmetic, and I would try and not go any deeper than the deepest cut to keep the most strength. 

mattbeels, Russ, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16811

@wolframmalukker 

Thats not bad at all, I think I'd just fill that with glue and sawdust.

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

It definitely could have been worse, I could be getting out the wood bleach to remove bloodstains.

@wolframmalukker Ouch! It’s not that bad though. I can see how it upset you, it would have upset me too but it’s not disastrous. Like you said, it will be hidden away but you will know it’s there, and now us. 
With stuff like that, and a lot of stuff I do actually, I use car body filler. It sounds like an inappropriate substance to use but it sets rock hard, it’s easy to apply, easy to sand and it’s sets in minutes. It’s a two part substance, filler and hardener, and there are versions that are used in woodwork that are more of a a wood colour. It’s the same stuff though and so long as you don’t mind it being a blue or pink colour, it’s cheaper to buy car body filler from your local car body supplies. I have used for general repairs around the house for years, it’s so versatile. 👍 

ReplyQuote
WolframMalukker
(@wolframmalukker)
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

I wish the gouges were the only problem. I started double-checking the body template, and looking at my photos posted here.

The neck is too short.

Which is a shame, as I've just fitted the rear headstock veneer to it, and was going to glue it on today.

Note in the photos above, the 14th fret is aligned with the shoulder of the body/neck joint. it should be the 16th fret, for this body shape! Assembling the uke this way would put the bridge very far down the body for the explorer shape, the bridge pickup should be aligned with the center of the upper notch in the body outline-not 0.830" below it.

No huge problem though-I just have to make another neck. I can apply the process revisions to it this time and it should be much faster.

Guess I'll have to make a different body style later, one that's designed for the shorter neck.

mattbeels, Boo, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
WolframMalukker
(@wolframmalukker)
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

Well, I didn't loose my house in the storm, but the school I work at took a bit of a hit. The building is fine, but we won't have power or internet services til January, they're telling us now. The line crews are focusing on residential areas first.

I've drawn up a new body to go with the 14-fret neck, but it may be a bit before I get back to working on this. I've been drafted to build generator units for a few days.

Hope everyone else is OK.

I'm in Bowling Green, KY-my school is very close to the National Corvette Museum and NCM track-we had a C8 Corvette deposited into our parking lot, and I cleaned up a lot of twisted sheetmetal out of my outdoor classroom, and had to tape up a few windows that were cracked. Not too bad, for 300MPH winds.

Russ, mattbeels, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
WolframMalukker
(@wolframmalukker)
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

Started the second neck, but got a bit impatient and the scarf joint is poorly glued, the nut position is compromised, and I just feel like I've made a hash out of it.

Next is to pop the glue joint and flip it from the "glued to the back of the neck" scarf joint to the "glued to the face of the neck" scarf joint. I don't like the way this one looks as much but at least it gives a second chance at not having a gappy, thick, poorly glued joint.

Dunning-Kruger strikes again...Neck 1 I was at the peak of Mount Stupid!

Koendb, Boo, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Started the second neck, but got a bit impatient and the scarf joint is poorly glued, the nut position is compromised, and I just feel like I've made a hash out of it.

@wolframmalukker Never mind, you live and learn. It’s all experience and you may remember your mistake next time around and remember to avoid it. 

Keep going. 👍

Russ, Koendb, Russ and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
WolframMalukker
(@wolframmalukker)
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

Got a little work done on this one this past week. Decided to cut the body out with the bandsaw, instead of using the CNC. I'll finish out this body, make any adjustments to the prints, and then run one on the CNC equipment for a "first off" proof.

I've been asked by so many people to build these that it's seriously tempting to actually do a short run.

And here it is next to the Jazzmastery-shaped one.

Bpower, Koendb, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: