228 Likes
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385
Topic starter  

@markbailey 6 months ago I signed up for your build your own electric guitar course, drew some pictures, ordered some blanks and a fretboard from you, got a load of parts, changed my mind, changed the drawings and set to work. Today I played the nicest guitar I’ve ever picked up, one of your videos talked of it feeling like an old friend when you pick it up and it did. Thank you for putting together an online course, thank you for answering all my questions and thanks for building a fantastic online community. I could never find the time and resources to attend a guitar building course in person so finding your gem of an offering was a real dream.

I’m so proud of what I’ve made and huge thanks to all the people here who have supported and encouraged me along the way, I’d would go for naming names but I’m sure I’d miss someone!!

I’ve a few bits and pieces and finishing touches to go and I’ll post up final pictures soon, at the moment it looks like this

051A64B6 4774 4EEE B6D1 0BCE40D2C46B

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

tv1, mattbeels, richyc and 19 people reacted
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@tej 

It looks super. When you listed all the “mistakes” in various posts I was expecting a disaster. 

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

tv1, mattbeels, Boo and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 Thanks, it’s tricky, obviously my aim was perfection so these small things do niggle me but as I think boo pointed out, if I don’t mention them most people just wouldn’t notice these things. Have to admit too from the 3 people who’ve seen it, not one of them noticed the broken screw!

tv1, mattbeels, Boo and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

@tej Awesome Result man! Congratulations

ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28644

Excellenté @tej. It looks fantastic. 

🙂🎶🎸🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

ReplyQuote
cheesewhisk
(@cheesewhisk)
Estimable Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 1765

@tej it's great to see the end result it really does look fantastic. I definitely agree with the old friend sentiment.

It's also been great to see your progress all the way through this build 

mattbeels, Russ, Koendb and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3860

Beautiful guitar @tej. Very well done. 🙂

tv1, mattbeels, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

Back atcha @tej - It is a simple fact that without you and the others none of this would exist. So thanks to you and everyone else here!!

Measure twice, cut once...

tv1, mattbeels, Rocknroller912 and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

@tej Great job man. Feels good doesn’t it? 

Glad you enjoyed it. What you got planned next? You know you want to. 😉👍🎸

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

tv1, mattbeels, Rocknroller912 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

What you got planned next? You know you want to. 😉👍🎸

@boo next will be a 7 string, I borrowed one off someone a week or so ago and really enjoying it. There will be a lot more carving, looking into more intricate inlay work too. Also want to make the fretboard too so this will be a much longer project. What I need to do before any of that though is figure out how I want to finish it though. Much as I love the look of the Wudtone finish I used on this build it’s just not at all durable and marks so so easily. I’ve since made the current one worse trying to get the one pickup surround off as scratched across it, I’ll post with pics in another thread in the hope you’ve some more safe advice!

The other thing I want to do is make a more unique headstock. Other considerations are a laminate neck if I can find the wood I’d want but also might look at a through neck design. Basically all the things That would have been pushing it for a first build.

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

next will be a 7 string, I borrowed one off someone a week or so ago and really enjoying it. There will be a lot more carving, looking into more intricate inlay work too. Also want to make the fretboard too so this will be a much longer project. What I need to do before any of that though is figure out how I want to finish it though. Much as I love the look of the Wudtone finish I used on this build it’s just not at all durable and marks so so easily. I’ve since made the current one worse trying to get the one pickup surround off as scratched across it, I’ll post with pics in another thread in the hope you’ve some more safe advice!

The other thing I want to do is make a more unique headstock. Other considerations are a laminate neck if I can find the wood I’d want but also might look at a through neck design. Basically all the things That would have been pushing it for a first build.

@tej Very ambitious, good for you. Now you have built a basic one and gained that essential experience, it’s all doable and I’m positive you can and will do it. 

Yep, I think finishing is still one of the most difficult bits of guitar building and finding the right products to use can be very difficult. It’s not just finding the products, it’s the application techniques that can be half the battle. There are loads of products out there that I still haven’t tried and that I have no idea or experience of how to apply them. Experimentation is the way forward, it’s all trial and error. 
Even though I have painting experience, I’m still learning about spraying onto wooden substrates, it’s different to what I’ve been used to in metal substrates. There are lots of paints I haven’t used before but now I have full licence to experiment with them. There will be triumphs and failures but I’ll figure out what works and what doesn’t and share things in this forum so it can perhaps help others to make good choices and avoid the pitfalls. 

Good luck in your endeavours. 👍🎸

Boo. 

ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

There are loads of products out there that I still haven’t tried

There are more that I haven’t I can assure you 🙂 I’m somewhat limited by not being set up to spray but there are still quite a few options. You’re bang on with experimenting being the way forward, really fell foul of that this time. Annoyingly, and I still don’t know why, the test piece was so different to the actual finish I ended with. The good thing being I loved the colour it ended up 😀

What I need is to find a rub in topcoat that’s genuinely tough, someone did post a product that became available in the UK so I need to find that thread again!

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

@tej  Crystalac Brite Tone I think you are looking for. I have still yet to try it also. 

tv1, mattbeels, Tej and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  
Posted by: @boo

Crystalac Brite Tone

@boo that’s the stuff, must order some to test out!

tv1, Koendb, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

Yup, Crystalac is the way forward. Long cure time though…

You lucky devils in the UK even have a distributor.

Practice on scrap...

tv1, Koendb, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Congrats @tej

Its addictive.  You build one, build another, build another and before you know it, you’ve built 20.

And still want to build another.

👍

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Koendb, Boo, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Posted by: @tv101

Congrats @tej

Its addictive.  You build one, build another, build another and before you know it, you’ve built 20.

And still want to build another.

I concur. 🎯💯🎸

Russ, tv1, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: