10 Users
376 Likes
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Any tips you can give with the grub screws on control knobs? Recently made but seems to strip out on me or misaligns.

@clinton I’ve thought about doing this also but not got around to it yet. I would perhaps start by looking at threaded inserts. Finding ones small enough could be the problem but they clearly exist because they are used in guitar knobs already. But where do we get them from? 

I bought some grub screw internal threads..I initially tried just screwing the grub screws into the wood of the knob but didnt work....there are a few places on amazon that do the internal threads...I ended up buying a pack of different sizes....

@steveadams Where did you get them from Steve, I wouldn’t mind having a go at making my own guitar knobs with grub screws? Cheers. 👍

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Koendb, Tej, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
steveadams
(@steveadams)
Prominent Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 1060
Topic starter  

Hey Boo

here is the link for the inserts:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JN24YFF?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details

here is the link for the screws:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08QJPQ21V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They were pretty good quality and the threads matched ok...I wish I had taken some pics of the process...

I bought a 20mm plug cutter....first of all I fixed the walnut to the pillar drill base and drilled the centre hole for the knob, obviously having previously measured the shaft of the pot.

Then without moving the walnut replaced the drill bit with the plug cutter ensuring that nothing moved, this then meant that everything was centred...

I then cut of the excess undrilled part of the plug so the knob was the right height...ie the shaft of the pot went in the right amount.

Then mainly by eye I drilled the horizontal hole for the threaded insert. These are then simply screwed in by hand..

I'm sure there's plenty of other ways to do it and actually most of you guys on here would have second guessed the process anyway..

cheers

Steve

Koendb, Tej, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
steveadams
(@steveadams)
Prominent Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

I've just looked at the post and it seems the links have turned into images!!!! no idea why...

I've broken the forum!!!!!!!! agghhh...

not sure how to share the link...

email me at steve.adams@go-media.co.uk and I'll share that way

cheers

Steve

Koendb, Tej, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385

I used the fides oil

@steveadams was it a tinted oil? Also have you by chance tried that oil over a coloured water based stain?

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

Russ, mattbeels, Koendb and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
steveadams
(@steveadams)
Prominent Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Hi @tej

no, it was just applied to clean wood....

worked really well..

cheers

Steve

Tej, Russ, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385

@steveadams the way it’s come out for you does make me question whether to stain the wood at all 🤔

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

Russ, Koendb, Russ and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: