10 Users
1134 Likes
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112
Topic starter  

Plus, building the things isn't my problem ... the problem is what to do with them all once I've built them! 

I've attained the mythical status, long believed by guitarists to be an impossible state, of "too many guitars".

If only there was some kind of system within society that would allow, say, somebody with money and space but no guitar, to formulate a transaction, based on a mutually beneficial exchange, with somebody finding themselves in pretty much the reverse situation! That would be just awesome wouldn't it? We'd need to come up with a punchy name for the process though or it would never catch on. What about 'buying and selling'? That's got a ring to it! Do you think we could be on to something or am missing the point? 🤣 🤣 🤣 

Koendb, Deej, mattbeels and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

I hate doing soldering etc and would love to outsource this to a fellow communiteer)

Hi Boo,

I love soldering, gimme gimme gimme! If you do my fret dressing for me we have deal!!

Darren

Koendb, Deej, mattbeels and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

What about 'buying and selling'?

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Koendb, Deej, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

and your dimensions are 7-8cm shorter from centre to mop.

Hi Mikey, I have ordered three prototype shafts at 500mm 550mm and 600mm so I can assess the likely stress on the motor bearings by the additional length and I should also have three variants of the motor on their way to me soon.

One other consideration, and I am not sure if you would have to swap the mop around for this, is that the motor rotation is reversible, so you may be able to use the opposite side of the mop if this gives better access to the certain parts of the guitar.

Koendb, Deej, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

I love soldering, gimme gimme gimme! If you do my fret dressing for me we have deal!!

@darrenking I hate fret dressing too! 😳 

I do like a good haggle though. 

Koendb, Deej, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

I usually use Farecla products designed for wet buffing 2K. Can you buff 2K with a dry compound without burning through easily?

Hi Boo, the nice man at the polishing shop says that there is no reason why 2K can't be buffed with a mop and dry compound system. He mentioned that it is always advisable to start at low speed (500rpm) and build up to max of 1000-1200rpm once you know how the paint reacts to the polishing. He also said that the dry compounds will, generally, cut quicker than modern liquid auto polishing compounds. This is because the latter are designed with degrading abrasive particles so that the longer you are polishing the finer the abrasive particles become. Clever!

There is a two stage process for lacquers suggested, and the use of a liquid polish is also mentioned as possible final third stage.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers

Darren

Screen Shot 2021 02 22 at 13.04.05

Koendb, Deej, Bill Flude and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@boo

Thanks I had to get an operation on my hand, nothing woodwork related but it was a minor emergency. I'm home now and bored as I can't do anything. Hoping to get the stitches out on Friday then physio, so the unfinished projects will be unfinished for a while yet.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Koendb, Deej, Bill Flude and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

There is a two stage process for lacquers suggested, and the use of a liquid polish is also mentioned as possible final third stage.

@darrenking That’s great Darren, thanks. 

It looks like the best stuff for my 2K or nitro is the Glosswax 16 and the P175 Yellow P175 Black for the buffing mops for your machine. 

I agree with the liquid polish 3rd stage as well. I am going to invest in some new, next generation liquid compounds and get away from older, more traditional stuff like Farecla. There is some exciting new stuff out there and I need to give it a go. 

Thanks for speaking to them Darren. 👍

Koendb, Deej, Bill Flude and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

What about 'buying and selling'?

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

OK, OK, OK funny guys @darrenking @boo ...

I have sold a couple of my own builds through the years, though mainly when someone said "I want that, sell it to me", rather than when I actively tried to sell it.  I'm just not 100% convinced that they're good enough to sell!

(Yes, I probably need to get a job selling Gibsons, then I'll overcome my reservations).

And the ones that are good enough to sell ... well, I'd not sell those ones, they're too good!!

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Deej, Koendb, Bill Flude and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

I'm just not 100% convinced that they're good enough to sell!

And the ones that are good enough to sell ... well, I'd not sell those ones, they're too good!!

Hi TV,  I think you might be mistaking Boo or I for your wife!! This is clearly a very well refined and rehearsed excuse, but I'm afraid that, and I am pretty sure I can also speak for Boo here, it's wasted on us! Still, I'm impressed that it has worked this long!

🤣 🤣 

Koendb, Deej, Bill Flude and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

I'm just not 100% convinced that they're good enough to sell!

@tv101 Very convincing but not sure this excuse is 100% convincing. I agree with @darrenking that it’s wasted on us. 🤣

They don’t have to be perfect to sell. We make handmade guitars with inbuilt “character”. Production line guitars are boring and I think people know that, every one almost identical, they are cookie cutter guitars. When we make them, each one tells a story. 

“If you build it, they will come” 

Eventually........ 😁

Koendb, Deej, Bill Flude and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

I think you might be mistaking Boo or I for your wife

Having seen you both, let me assure you (both) that there's not too much danger of that!

🤣

Actually, we (my wife and I) used to have a deal. 

For every dog that she got, I was allowed 10 guitars.  Or for every 10 guitars I got, she was allowed another dog (I'm not sure which way round it worked).  It's probably time for another dog ...

Deej, Bill Flude, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Or for every 10 guitars I got, she was allowed another dog

It's the first time I've heard of a guitar maker having to move to a house with a bigger kennel! 🤣 🤣 

Deej, Bill Flude, mattbeels and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

For every dog that she got, I was allowed 10 guitars.  Or for every 10 guitars I got, she was allowed another dog (I'm not sure which way round it worked).  It's probably time for another dog ...

@tv101 So many jokes I could make but I don’t want offend..... 🤣

Deej, Bill Flude, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

You could always build a bigger doghouse @tv101 

Deej, Bill Flude, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Thanks I had to get an operation on my hand, nothing woodwork related but it was a minor emergency. I'm home now and bored as I can't do anything.

Hi Rocknroller,

I saw this and though of you!

Get well soon, but no excuses!

Cheers

Darren

Deej, Bill Flude, Rocknroller912 and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

@rocknroller912

Sorry to hear that you’re a bit out of commission, wishing you a speedy recovery!

🍻🍻🍻

Practice on scrap...

Deej, Bill Flude, Rocknroller912 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@darrenking

@mattbeels

Thanks for the good wishes I've found that I can do varnishing ok so working on non guitar projects. Just have to be careful not to burst any stitches or get any solvent near as it's still partly open. I wanted to take a photo and post it on FB but no pics allowed in the operating theatre - boring.

Great video Darren there used to be a one arm guitar maker and teacher in Lockerbie but I never met him. 

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Deej, Bill Flude, Robin and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

in the operating theatre

Ok, something that required a trip to the Operating Theatre qualifies as “serious”.

Whatever it was, take it easy and let the healing process do it’s thing.

And don’t do it again @rocknroller912.

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

tv101

Thanks still don't really know what it was but it looked a bit like sepsis starting to take hold. Everybody was calling in to have a look see something unexplained. Nobody said not to drink Guinness !

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5
Share: