216 Likes
James
(@james-chacewatergmail-com-2)
Honorable Member
Technician
Rep Points: 720
Topic starter  

Hello folks

Have any of you used one of these or have any thoughts about them? I've looked at reviews and YouTube vids but haven't found anything guitar related about them.

I've got an opportunity to get a used one but as I've only got a small workshop and they seem heavy and noisy I only want to get it if it'll be useful for guitar building. 

Deej, darrenking, Boo and 9 people reacted
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

I can’t comment on the specific Triton model, but I have something similar with a Makita badge.

1.  Yes, noisy.

2.  Yes, heavy.

3.  They also produce a huge amount of shavings / cuttings.  You either need a proper extractor / collector or a large open outdoor space, where the cuttings can “disperse” (I have a photo somewhere).

4.  Great for thicknessing stuff down to size, but note the max width that they take.  Also good for planing flat faces onto stuff, but...

5.  For both the above, you need to make sure that the blades / knives are (a) sharp and (b) straight.  Also that the in/out feed trays are flat and level.

I generally use mine when I’m starting with timber in plank form, or if I’m making pieces for laminate necks.  It’s useful (for various woodworkery) but not essential for guitar-making.  Difficult to pass up if it’s available for a good price - just check you can get replacement blades / knives easily.

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Deej, Peebee, darrenking and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

@jamesnowayi’mtypingallthatshitouthaha

All I know about planers is that most people recommend a spiral cutterhead as it apparently makes an enormous difference...

Practice on scrap...

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

James

I wouldn't get a planer. If you buy your wood from instrument suppliers it will be near to the finished size just leaving margins to work with. Thickness machines don't usually have a very wide capacity unless they are heavy duty industrial and too big for the home workshop. I think Mark mentioned a while ago that drum sanders are more useful.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

The question is where you stop! A huge great big chain saw is great for cutting down trees but then you need a lorry, a forklift, a resale, a drying kiln of an acre of outdoor space etc. A planer thicknesses makes sense if it’s cheap, you have the space and the extraction to cope and you are regularly converting rough sawn timber and you teach yourself how to set it up correctly. A badly adjusted planer is a real widow maker so be very cautious!
I always sit and look at the amount of waste created by cutting the perfect neck blank from a big lump of timber and reflect on the fact that the prices charged by Mark and other suppliers really isn’t that bad.

Cheers

Darren

Deej, mark bailey, Russ and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

I always sit and look at the amount of waste created by cutting the perfect neck blank from a big lump of timber and reflect on the fact that the prices charged by Mark and other suppliers really isn’t that bad.

Having done that myself a few times (not necessarily neck blanks), factor in the time required to do the machining, and the cost of machine maintenance, and suddenly ready-finished timber looks cheap!

Deej, darrenking, Russ and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

Ive tried buying bulk timber from a wood turning supplier. Couldn't be bothered with clearing up all the waste. I try and buy it as close to size as possible so that I don't need any big machines.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Deej, mark bailey, Peebee and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

3.  They also produce a huge amount of shavings / cuttings.  You either need a proper extractor / collector or a large open outdoor space, where the cuttings can “disperse” (I have a photo somewhere).

Photos from a few years ago ... when all I had was a small shed and so large jobs had to be done outside.

Exhibit 1, some nicely thicknessed timbers;

20140503 124904

Exhibit 2, the "leftover" mahogany;

20140503 122228

Exhibit 3, I also made some maple sawdust;

20140503 124832
20140503 124842

I have a proper extractor thingy now, but the drum fills up really quickly whenever I use the thicknesser.

Deej, Boo, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Eddie6string
(@eddie6string)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 1551

Well, I have felled, planked, dried,  planed local trees for my own use for some years.

Storage and drying are the main issues. 

I've having new Axminster planer thicknesses delivered on Tuesday as I'm hoping to speed up the jointing process through more accurate/sturdy fence and bed construction. 

New storage shed too!

On the up

tv1, Boo, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
jamesalexandermcmillan
(@jamesalexandermcmillan)
Estimable Member
Adept
Rep Points: 176

I’ve got a triton thicknesser. It is handy for recycling wood for guitar use. The most annoying thing is it’s max width is 13”. This is right on the limit or even below the limit for many guitars. 
everything above is true as well. 
you have to be careful with nails and screws when recycling. Hidden ones can knacker the blades. 
it was particularly handy for learning techniques on inexpensive recycled wood. 
jim

Deej, Robin, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
James
Honorable Member
Technician
Topic starter  

Thanks for all your input folks.

That's a resounding 'NO' from the forum then with the exception of Eddie6string.

I'll use the money on masking tape and superglue instead then and carry on using my Safe-T-Planer 😜😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣🤗

Deej, darrenking, Russ and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

superglue instead then and carry on using my Safe-T-Planer

Superglue is a very useful emergency first aid kit - keep it next to the Safe-T-Planer (if ever something was misnamed!!).

Deej, darrenking, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
James
Honorable Member
Technician
Topic starter  

Yeah.... but...  Stew Mac........

Deej, Russ, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

The Safe T Planer (originally Saf T Planer) was made by a company called Wagner in Oklahoma and a few years ago they either stopped making it or closed, I can’t remember which. 

Fast forward a few years and Stewmac and a few others have started producing it. One company even has a version with 6! Cutterheads instead of 3.

Just sayin‘...

Practice on scrap...

Deej, Boo, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

Hey TV! I thought Safe-T-Planer hate speak was my speciality!!😂😂

Deej, Robin, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

No, no, no!!  If that’s the choice buy the Triton! Shit! I forgot you had one of those  finger trimmers already!!

Cheers

Darren

Deej, tv1, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

Hey TV! I thought Safe-T-Planer hate speak was my speciality!!😂😂

It's a handy gadget - I object more to the name which implies it's something that it really isn't.

If it were called danger-planer, I'd be more accepting of it.  I bought one years ago, but have barely used it since considering the risk/benefit aspects!

Deej, Boo, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bill Flude
(@frocesterbill)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3827

I’ve got a Titan TTB579PLN planer/thicknesser - £160 - it works really well - first one didn’t - it was DOA - took a little while to get it working well but I can take rough timber and get it smooth and square.  It is a pain to switch modes so you have to plan to do jobs in batches.

I have two shop vacs (more Titan crap!) one of which connects to the bandsaw, the planer/thicknesser and by sander/thicknesser and things stay reasonably dust free - the planer/thicknesser does chuck shavings a bit.  

No idea how long a cheap tool like this will last but it doesn’t get used a lot....

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

Deej, tv1, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: