2674 Likes
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385
Topic starter  

Cheers @boo, I only have stain as opposed to paint and no spray gear. The potential for making it worse is definitely there if I do try to “fix” it 😬

Anyway, who told you about the drill bits and chisel features!? Shocked you thought it ok to bring up 😉

You’re right though, it’s not a big stand out mistake so learning and moving on might be my best bet 🙂

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

tv1, mattbeels, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34813

I only have stain as opposed to paint and no spray gear. The potential for making it worse is definitely there if I do try to “fix” it 😬

Anyway, who told you about the drill bits and chisel features!? Shocked you thought it ok to bring up 😉

You’re right though, it’s not a big stand out mistake so learning and moving on might be my best bet 🙂

@tej yeah I understand that not everyone has spraying gear, it’s not a fix for everyone. 

Yeah sorry about that, I should have run it by you before telling everyone about the drills and chisels. 🤣

I would definitely just leave it, just move on to the next thing. That way, in a couple of years time, you can compare it to newer stuff you’ve done since and see the difference in your skills. 

Keep at it. I look forward to what you are doing next. 👍

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

tv1, mattbeels, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

I agree with what @boo said @tej, very sound and complete advice. Trying to fix it could really end up with you wishing that you’d just left it alone! Great looking build btw, I dig the change to the body horns and the neck looks great!

Practice on scrap...

Russ, Robin, Tej and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@mattbeels Thanks! Yes I’m really pleased with the shape and very proud of the neck. I may end up putting a fair number more top coats on it though sanding with 1500 inbetween though as it’s rougher to the touch than I wanted, my inexperience with finishing open grain woods really. I should have sanded it with far higher grit before applying any finish to it but ultimately I’ll see how it feels to play and decide it’d it’s worth doing then.

tv1, Russ, Koendb and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

Construction time 😀

Used some shielding paint from Crimson which went on a treat. Tuning pegs mounted, everything wired up and mounted. Just need to align the pickups and get it set up now 😀😃😄😁😆🎸

DCE95CDC 171D 4372 9AC6 4568765B69E7
B76C70E5 C194 423F BC36 36D30DED47A3
2A65BAC0 C35A 44C5 875D 03478D0F4F29

tv1, mattbeels, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@tej

It looks good in the photos I hope it plays well

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

tv1, mattbeels, Koendb and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 Thanks. Of course it will play well, what could possibly go wrong now!

tv1, mattbeels, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@tej 

Dont leave it anywhere it can fall over

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

tv1, mattbeels, Boo and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 Sage advice 🙂 I’m just hoping everything lines up properly when I get a couple of strings on it as there’s not quite as much lateral movement in the pickups as I though there was and something doesn’t look quite right. That said I’m tired and a Mr Talisker visited so I’ll get back on it tomorrow.

tv1, mattbeels, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@tej 

Wise move, good work can’t be rushed.

ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16784

Used some shielding paint from Crimson which went on a treat.

@tej   I used that on the build I've just completed, its nice stuff.

@rocknroller912Thanks. Of course it will play well, what could possibly go wrong now!

Thats what I thought too, I had a real problem with volume, I took the electrics apart today and resoldered it, I'm fairly sure now that something was earthing on the shielding paint, possibly the tip of the jack socket when the plug wiggled a bit. Just something to look out for Tej. It sounds really good now that I've fixed that. I hope yours works first time.

ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@robin Thanks for the heads up, I checked everything over after installing the electronics and couldn’t see anything like that. I’ll check with the jack plug in though as I didn’t think to check that.

ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

Right, everything is built and I’m onto the setup, the truss rod didn’t cause any scary creaking, not did it puncture through the back of the neck so my fix for my initial router mishap on day one has worked 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

I’ve done way to go before I’m happy with everything, following niggles to sort out:

1. I set the bridge height as low as it will go but it’s leaving the action about .25 to .5mm higher than I’d like. To rectify this I’ll need to get the strings off, remove the bridge, pull the bridge posts out and oh so carefully drill the holes the tiniest bit deeper. As it’s such a small difference I might make a bespoke sanding tool to do this to reduce the chance of destruction!
  2.  When tightening up one of the pickup screws the screw sheared in half, combination of poor quality screws and me drilling the pilot hole too small. Easy to sort as there should be enough to grip when the pick-up surround is off.
  3. Need to sand down the nut as the action at the nut end is crazy high.

All that said, it’s just beautiful to play and I made it!!! (Though admittedly @markbailey made the fretboard 🙂)

I’ll get some pictures up once I’ve tackled the offending pickup mount screw!

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@tej

Cheap screws and bolts made of soft metal are a common problem. If you’re getting into building a lot it’s worth buying bags of spare machine head screws and pick up bolts. They’re not expensive from gear4music or similar supplier..

ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 I’ll have a look, it does bug me, I’d happily pay the extra 30p on a set of pickups for them to come with quality fixings, as I said though the pilot hole was too small. I’m not used to working with hardwood and usually the wood doesn’t fight back!

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@tej

One thing that’s often forgotten is that some screws get thicker along the shaft where there is no thread so thats the part the hole needs to be drilled for. The thread part will find it’s own way.

ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 Not these ones, the taper was short and I just used a drill bit that’d have been fine for pine and not much else so I can’t lay all the blame with the materials 😬 Just hope I can get it out of the body, it looks like there is enough to grip. If there isn’t I’ve no idea how to get it out cleanly as they’re very thin screws 🤔 I’ve a kit for removing broken screws but it relies on you being able to drill out the middle and screw a reverse threaded tool in but the smallest one is nowhere near small enough.

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@tej

There is an easy way to get broken screws out, it’s debated a lot LG guitar forums.

Fing a small metal tube just the diameter of the screw (hobby shop or Amazon). File some sharp teeth at the end to make a cutter. Fill the tube with a toot pike or scrap wood and use it like a drill bit held in the Chuck.

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

Autocorrect is beating me here but mostly it makes sense

tv1, mattbeels, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 Ah ok so you’re just “drilling” round the screw, thanks for the idea!

mattbeels, Boo, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 10 / 12
Share: