122 Likes
whyte
(@whyte)
Active Member Customer
Adept
Rep Points: 150
Topic starter  

Hey all. 

I signed up to the course last week and really looking forward to building my first guitar. Never done anything like this before - so there is lots to learn. Just need to remember to walk before running. 

I still have to finish watching all the videos (as suggested), but all my kit parts arrived this week which is super exciting. 

I did my first guitar plan and copied the Bailey Bandsman. 

I know its going to be a slow build as I dont have a workshop or a shed that I can build this in, and I dont have any power tools right now. So it'll be a case of figuring out what I need, saving up for it and then finding the time to work on this. Already in my mind I am planning on more complicated builds and just many more guitar shapes. 😋 

JPEG image

The paper drawing.

JPEG image 2

The neck, board and fretboard blanks with the hardware on top.

Tej, cheesewhisk, Boo and 13 people reacted
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3860

fantastic @whyte. Can't wait to see this take shape. 🙂

Tej, cheesewhisk, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28656

@whyte.

Hi Pete, One piece of advice from me is don't fall down the rabbit hole that I've gone into.

I signed up over a year ago. I've watched all the Electric and Acoustic courses twice over. I've got my Bandsman kit and now have all the tools I need. I've built the jigs that I need ( in a woodworking evening class)........ but I haven't cut a piece of guitar wood yet.

"Life" and children's lives have taken up more of my time than I expected over the past year......."make the time".

Like you, I've never had a dedicated space to work in and trying to get one has taken more time than I would have liked........the kitchen table has never been an option in our house. 😂 

At least the ball is still rolling. A lot of preparation and planning has gone into it and like your plans I'm hopefully in this for the long haul. I even have three other designs in my head after Mark's Bandsman. 

As l keep saying to everyone......"watch this space". The planets are hopefully starting to align.  

Looking forward to following your journey too.

🙏🎸🙂🎶

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

Tej, cheesewhisk, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

Looks good @whyte, it’ll be cool to see a left handed build! 

Practice on scrap...

Tej, Boo, cheesewhisk and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
whyte
(@whyte)
Active Member Customer
Adept
Topic starter  

it’ll be cool to see a left handed build!

@mattbeels Yes, After 10+ years of playing right-handed, but being left-handed for my whole life, I figured that its time to learn and play the "right" way. Slightly frustrating as i know what to do, but my fingers aren't there yet. 

I don't have a left handed guitar to practice on, just flipped one of my right-handed guitars. Can't wait to play a real left-handed guitar and it'll be built my me! 🙂 

Tej, mattbeels, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
whyte
(@whyte)
Active Member Customer
Adept
Topic starter  

"Life" and children's lives have taken up more of my time than I expected over the past year......."make the time".

@russ - yes, i know what that's like. I hope to be able to set aside a few hours each weekend to tackle one task. During the week is taken up by work and with "winter coming", there is less light outside to work in the evenings. As long as something happens each week/month and it keeps moving forward, then thats good. I'd hate to see myself (or anyone) not being able to work on their project to weeks/months on end. 

I hope you can find the time to have for yourself and your guitar, best of luck

Tej, mattbeels, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
cheesewhisk
(@cheesewhisk)
Estimable Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 1765

Excited for you @whyte I know that entire 'Winter is coming' feeling. I'm cover plates away from being finished with my first build I started last winter but already thinking of my next. One of the best things about the course is that it's broken into sizable sections so there's a lot of stress removed by that because you only need to think one step at a time.

Tej, Robin, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
whyte
(@whyte)
Active Member Customer
Adept
Topic starter  

One of the best things about the course is that it's broken into sizable sections

@cheesewhisk, yes. I've watched a few of the live streams and about half way through the course. Mark makes it look so easy. Cut this, sand that, now you have a guitar neck. 

Looking forward to seeing your finished guitar - must be very exciting to be that close to finishing. 

Tej, cheesewhisk, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

Hi Whyte,

Life’s other commitments are always a problem when it comes to something as complex as building a guitar. I have tended to commit whole, or half, days to it at the weekends, as interruptions from people or phone calls can really screw with my concentration. Whilst in the ‘zone’ it’s like spinning plates, stop thinking, even for a few minutes, and they all come crashing down and I have to start again from scratch. Instead of trying to fit in 20 minutes here, 30 minutes there, take a days holiday, if you can, so that you can be alone with your tools, your plans and quite possibly your confusion! Work through the course sections more or less in order and, if you aren’t going to have time to finish the next one, don’t start it, just watch it again ready for the next time. You’ll be amazed at how often something will suddenly fall into place in your mind a day or two after you’ve watched something a bit flumoxing. Oh, and if you are working from home and your wife/husband/partner is out at work, make sure you leave PLENTY of time for hoovering, general cleaning up and leaving the house shinier than it was when you started. Trust me, it pays HUGE dividends in the long run!

You are going to have an absolute hoot on here and everyone is on your side and cheering you on. There are no prizes to be won (other than Boo topping the points list year in, year out!!😂😂😂) so do your own thing, in your own time, and just share with us as you go.

Good luck

Darren

Tej, whyte, Russ and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
whyte
(@whyte)
Active Member Customer
Adept
Topic starter  

so do your own thing, in your own time, and just share with us as you go.

Thanks @darrenking, wonderful message. I am very excited, but don't want to rush. I have to plan my workspace first. Then I can plan to tackle one-step at a time. 

Everyone I have interacted with is very nice and encouraging. They are some great builds here and lots of knowledge, I hope to gain and forward on in the future. 

I'll be sure to post my updates and any progress I make. 

Tej, Russ, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: