808 Likes
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@boo

So your Alta ego is Ziggy Stardust

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Russ, Boo, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Jiggy Jiggy, Boo's a Ziggy.

😎

That's an incredible shine on the guitar now.  It was pretty "wow" before.  Now it's beyond-wow.

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Rocknroller912, Russ, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

Funny thing, @boo I‘ve now noticed that you’ve left your makers mark in the cavities! 

Practice on scrap...

tv1, Russ, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

Fantastic job Boo, I'm very impressed.

I'm interested to know how easy you found the buffer to use, how long it took you to buff the body with both compounds and how you would rate the result compared to the finish you'd get with wet buffing with your car polisher. 

Oh, and I've had a thought about how I could include a simple shaft lock although it wouldn't be connected to a power cut off switch so people would have to remember to remove the rod before switching on.

Cheers

Darren

tv1, Boo, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@mattbeels

Glad to see we’ve got a cavity inspector on the team, sure we can’t go wrong now.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

tv1, Boo, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Yup @rocknroller912, that’s me! I even have mugs for sale, only $29.99 plus s&h! How many would you like?

Practice on scrap...

tv1, Rocknroller912, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842
Topic starter  

I'm interested to know how easy you found the buffer to use, how long it took you to buff the body with both compounds and how you would rate the result compared to the finish you'd get with wet buffing with your car polisher. 

@darrenking Thanks Darren, I’ll do a full review and comparison soon. For now, I’ve got food to eat and beer to drink. Enjoy your Easter. 👍

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

tv1, Russ, mattbeels and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

I even have mugs for sale, only $29.99 plus s&h! How many would you like?

@mattbeels 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 How’s it going Matt, you ok? Hope you are enjoying your Easter break. 

tv1, Russ, mattbeels and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

@boo I’m good thanks, and you? I’m getting ready to fire up the grill and crack open a cold one 😉

Happy Easter break everyone!

Practice on scrap...

tv1, Boo, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@mattbeels

I need the T shirt as well please, can you do a package deal.

mattbeels, tv1, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@darrenking

I was wondering if the buffer motor has a reverse facility or options to include a reverse polarity switch. It would make removing the polishing wheel easy. Apologies if you’ve already thought of this.

mattbeels, tv1, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

I was wondering if the buffer motor has a reverse facility or options to include a reverse polarity switch. It would make removing the polishing wheel easy. Apologies if you’ve already thought of this.

@rocknroller912 I think it does, although I haven’t needed it. I will have a look and let you know. I suppose that is a good idea for taking the mops off, stick it in reverse and hold on to the mop (on slow obviously). 👍

mattbeels, Rocknroller912, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

**UPDATE** **BUFFING** **CHAMELEON PAINT ON A JAZZ BASS**

Its time to flatten the clear coat on this Jazz Bass, ready for buffing. I’ve started with P1000 grade wet and dry paper and I’m using it wet. I’ve taped up any screw holes that water could get into, I’ll do those bits dry later. These pictures show the guitar shiny, that’s the clear coat finish straight out of the gun. When I sand the surface to flatten the paint, the surface is left a matt finish, notice there are some spots that are still shiny, they need more sanding. 

11021F6A 4D9A 4C74 88D2 5BA3B67075BB
0B7954AA 631A 4F55 9D26 F5BDD77EC040
4A90B2F7 B0B7 404E 8B41 BE6332240F1F
4A588B08 A4FC 41EA 8E6A 7866A97B9DC3
1D9F5200 829A 466E 9748 A4D34818018F
AEDC9E9E 3920 4E45 A461 2D39E0D63490
6F664D25 0375 4F71 AB2E 39C96DAE7520

tv1, mattbeels, cheesewhisk and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

So your Alta ego is Ziggy Stardust

Yes! I am the reincarnation of Ziggy Stardust. ✨✨✨✨🤘👨‍🎤🤘🎸✨✨✨✨

mattbeels, Rocknroller912, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@boo

Yes that’s what I was thinking. My wood lathe has a locking pin which is for accurate indexing but it’s a nightmare if I forget to release it. Modern PUWER regulations might not even allow this kind of feature as the regs are very strict now.

mattbeels, Boo, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Deej
 Deej
(@deej)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 10929

Wow @boo 😍

I have too many guitars...said no one in the world..ever!

tv1, mattbeels, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
cheesewhisk
(@cheesewhisk)
Estimable Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 1765

This looks absolutely amazing 

tv1, mattbeels, Deej and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Edwin
(@e-den-hertog)
Honorable Member
Technician
Rep Points: 658

Oh wow............. Taht is really something... Very nice piece of kit 👍 

Measure once, cut straight away and maybe you're lucky......

mattbeels, Deej, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

**UPDATE** Initial, succinct information about paint, sanding, compound and buffing. 

The following methods described can be applied to 2K polyurethane, acrylic or nitrocellulose paints and lacquers/clear coats. This description will concentrate on 2K automotive finishes.

Up until now I have always used a wet compounding system to bring a high gloss finish back to the paint after it has been flattened (sanded). As 2K paints and clear coats are designed to be used in an automotive application, the polishing compounds have also been designed to work best with these paints. There are a huge range of paint manufacturers as well as a huge range of polishing compound manufacturers and they are generally all liquid or paste compounds. The paint and compounding companies are constantly doing their research and development and the consensus is obviously that liquid is the way to go for the foreseeable future, certainly for the automotive industry.

After spraying and curing of the paint, it is normally flattened and polished. This means sanding it with fine sandpapers of varying grades, usually ending with P2000 grade but can be taken further with P3000, P5000 etc. The higher the number, the finer the grit and this means it is easier to compound polish afterwards. It’s normally done wet, using water as a lubricant which removes creation of dry dust when working, increases the working time of the paper and somehow leaves a much better sanded surface than if it were done dry.

Water is also used during the compounding process (at least it has been traditionally over the past few decades) to help keep friction heat from the buffing head down, making it less likely to burn through the paint. A hand held rotary and/or random orbit polishing machine is used to perform this task.

This doesn’t sound like what we want to be doing with our guitars though does it?

Now, it doesn’t mean that this paint cannot be buffed using a dry approach. For us as guitar builders, we don’t really want water to be introduced into the equation at the late stage of polishing, it brings the risk of it seeping into the wood which causes swelling and will ultimately lift, crack and peal the paint in those localities. Using dry buffing methods can also bring the paint up to a high gloss and the way to do that is by using a bench top buffing wheel (or on a purpose built stand). Also, dry compounds can be used that have the appearance of a block of soap, cheese or butter. The abrasive compounds are suspended in these blocks and are applied to the buffing wheel as it spins by holding the block against the wheel. The guitar body will then be brought carefully up to the buffing wheel and the compound will cut through the fine scratches left by the sanding process in the paint. As there are grades of sandpaper, there are also grades of compounds and polish so a more coarse compound is used initially before moving onto finer compounding grades. This gradually brings up a high gloss finish and appears to be flawless to the human eye. After applying a finishing glaze and perhaps a wax, this is enough to satisfy our desire for the “perfect finish”.

So the point is, in terms of polishing, this paint product can be buffed to a high gloss using a wet method and a dry method. My comparison between the two will come in the next post.

mattbeels, Deej, Rocknroller912 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share: