808 Likes
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842
Topic starter  

Aaaahhhhhhhhh Haaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh...... (my best Alan Partridge impression) 😆Β 

A nice delivery chap has just dropped off, at my front door, a fairly heavy parcel from Darren at Bagpress. @darrenking For those of you who don’t know, Darren is one of the community members here that is very kindly helping us all out by making tools, when he can, that will benefit our enthusiasm for guitar building. He doesn’t do that full time, he does it for his love of the hobby and because he is an all round good egg (that means he is a good person, not round and egg-like 🤣).Β 

In this thread I will unbox this very sturdy and neatly bound package to reveal the carefully crafted contents. I will then assemble what parts need to meet each other to enable it to work. I will commission test it before attempting to polish something to a high gloss finish, using various polishing compounds and mops (buffing heads). Pictures and videos, as well as written text will be uploaded to cater for everyones’ learning styles and preferences.Β 

The idea behind anything any of us make for any of us to use in our workshops is that they need to be something we can just use at home. It’s not about who’s got the biggest and best tools/machinery/equipment, it’s about what we can get out of a box, plug in and use in a shed/garage/garden etc. We are guitar building enthusiasts and a lot of us do not have big workshops, we have our humble homes.Β 

Let’s see how this paint/wood/surface buffer does out of the box, into a garage/workshop and beyond. The future is shiny shiny. ✨✨✨✨✨✨

Cheers.

Boo 🤘😁🤘🎸

Β 

C554D2D2 AF06 4251 9028 9FD17020D611
68937BF3 5CFA 4B81 9A56 E5F5093564EB
F252A3B6 B6DE 409D B163 82C1E924511A

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Deej, Koendb, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28644

Looking forward to this @boo.......and @darrenking

🎸🙂🎶🙏

πŸ—οΈ "Life's what you make it"πŸ—οΈ

Deej, Koendb, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

It starts here 😁 with a box. ✨

Deej, Koendb, Russ and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2035

@boo

A pre-unboxing video?

You absolute tease!

Deej, Koendb, Robin and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

A pre-unboxing video?

You absolute tease!

@jonhodgson Hehe..... I couldn’t resist. 🤣

Deej, Koendb, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Right, here is the actual unboxing video. 🤣Β 

The camera angle was slightly out as I was holding some stuff up but you’ll get the idea. 👍Β 

Very neat and sturdy external packaging and fantastic, purpose made, custom internal packaging; careful consideration has been made to protect everything whilst in transit. That’s a nice touch by the all round good egg that is Darren. @darrenkingΒ 

The machine itself is of solid construction and it comes with a solid steel shaft that will be housed into the unit and the buffing mops will be attached to the other end. There are two buffing mops, one medium and one soft, which in turn have a medium and soft polishing compound for their respective mops. There is also a tool kit consisting of a 30mm spanner (wrench), a steel metal rod and an alan key; these will enable me to put everything together safely. The main unit has a standard household power plug and the user interface is a mixture of a digital pad (with digital display) and mechanical lever, and also has a physical, tangible on/off switch. (Pictures to follow)Β 

Β 

cheesewhisk, Deej, Koendb and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28644

@boo @darrenking .

Wow.

If the buffer is half as good as the packaging it'll be some machine. 👍😁Β 

🙏🎶🙂🎸

πŸ—οΈ "Life's what you make it"πŸ—οΈ

Deej, Koendb, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Here are a few select pictures of the machine, and it’s parts and tools, pre constructed.Β 

58547C2C 9617 4F68 B74E 7D457A565A9A
A3CBEEA5 D497 4245 89EA D6D3965810BA
F775862A 6FD8 4CE0 953A 4E289DE9F5E6
48183ABB F045 484D 89C9 EB172C538E80
D34DCAAC D402 4B15 AB4C 300D7BC569CD
E4E947FF B1B6 4DF9 8565 4F94D109F444

cheesewhisk, Deej, Koendb and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Some more.

90C32661 450E 438E 8F01 9FACE337E7A3
BB8C59E2 FE3B 4034 83BA D2EE047B3493
00C84A46 156C 44E7 80ED 262D90335095
98705210 814A 451B AA15 DCE58493FFE6
35999B47 FA2C 4DD5 933A A97C38122DE6
F6C2ADC3 3DB1 4103 A2C6 B95F26C4C39F
7541C0B2 994B 4633 AD8A D34799582B64
45A5BD75 2D57 4EE8 98DF 556150736C36
BB70E89A 7A03 4953 9594 34F676756D62

Deej, Robin, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier

That is a very nice looking piece of kit, and so practical for people who just don't have the space for a big floor standing unit like most of the DIY designs you see online.

How easy is the process of attaching/detaching the spindle? I'm just thinking that it's going to be a lot easier to store without that inserted.

Β 

Deej, Koendb, Robin and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

How easy is the process of attaching/detaching the spindle? I'm just thinking that it's going to be a lot easier to store without that inserted.

@jonhodgson It’s not difficult and to be honest, it doesn’t take up that much space with the spindle attached. I’ll explain it all properly later on in this thread.Β 

I may not get around to doing everything today as I have other stuff going on but I’ll add more as often as I can. 👍

Deej, Koendb, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

It looks to me that @darrenking had way too much fun designing and making the housing for the motor.

I love the precision of the box.

The fact that it's going to do something highly functional and useful is a bonus!

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Deej, Boo, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

I'm just thinking that it's going to be a lot easier to store without that inserted.

Β 

Hi @jonhodgson,

It stands vertically on it's back end quite happily so leaving the shaft in position isn't too much of a problem. If you do need to take if off then there are two grub screws that need to be removed through an aperture in the base and then it can be taken out by lightly tapping the big retention nut with a soft mallet or fret hammer. It's a precise engineering fit but not a tight fit ie you don't need heat to get it on or off the motor shaft, just as well really given that its all in a wooden box!

Deej, mattbeels, Robin and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier

It stands vertically on it's back end quite happily so leaving the shaft in position isn't too much of a problem.

Genius!

just as well really given that its all in a wooden box!

But then you'd get a Shou sugi ban finish for free!

Deej, mattbeels, Robin and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

I may not get around to doing everything today

Hi @boo,

If you get an E06 error on the display when you turn it on its because the 'throttle lever' isn't set to 'off'. Just push it all the way down and and then up again and it will all come to life. It's a safety thing to stop machine operatives from sewing their hands together!

Rocknroller912, Deej, mattbeels and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

@darrenking that is awesome! Are these going to be available via the GM shop?

Deej, Bill Flude, mattbeels and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

Shou sugi ban finish

Hmmmmm, a small oxy-acetylene powered flame thrower for the amateur guitar maker market....now there's a thought! What could possibly go wrong! 🤣 🤣 🤣Β 

cheesewhisk, Deej, Bill Flude and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier

What could possibly go wrong!

@darrenking, well we'd probably find out who's still using Nitro-Cellulose for their finishing.

Deej, Bill Flude, mattbeels and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

Hi @koendb, I'm probably still a few steps away from being able to offer them for sale and I need to get the cost of the parts down, specifically the motor system and the shaft, if they are going to sold at around the Β£300+VAT mark. I also need to see how it all stands up to a bit of use and (hopefully not so much) abuse. That's the reason I suggested that it could do a bit of a tour around (UK) members so that everyone who wants to can have a go and give their feedback. I'm sure everything will be fine but it's important to get some mileage on the clock before I start accepting peoples' hard earned cash. I do NOT want to be involved in a recall/refund program!

If any members do want to register an interest then I think that, a couple of months down the line, if we can hit 'critical mass' (probably 8-10 units) then it should be financially viable to run a first batch.

Bill Flude, mattbeels, Robin and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier

who's still using Nitro-Cellulose for their finishing

Or Shou sugi ban primer as it's also known!! 🤣Β 

Deej, Rocknroller912, Bill Flude and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4