Hi from Portland, Oregon  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

pdxguitar
(@pdxguitar)
Hobbyist
Rep Points: 60
08/10/2020 6:54 pm  

Hello all, I am brand new to this commmunity and to the idea of building my own guitar. This is a bucket list thing for me. I have zero woodworking skills so it still feels pretty out of reach but I figure getting involved in a community like this with the training videos is my best chance.  It doesn't seem like there are a lot of resources out there that try to take you from no experience to a finished guitar so I am excited to try this out.

I signed up for the free membership and will likely do the paid one soon but was wondering about the "free ebook" as I haven't seen anything about how to access that.

Excited to start this journey, if there is anyone else out there in Oregon hit me up I would love to chat with some local builders.

-Rich

Boo, mark bailey and Deej liked
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Rep Points: 5581
08/10/2020 7:11 pm  

Welcome Rich @pdxguitar!

I have zero woodworking skills so it still feels pretty out of reach

That was where I was, 13 years ago.  @markbailey won't remember after all this time, but before I stepped inside his workshop, I couldn't saw a piece of wood in half without something going wrong.  

Getting to the workshop is a bit of a challenge now, especially from where you are!, but the online courses are excellent, and really are a bite-sized, virtually-foolproof, step-by-step series of instructions.  Follow them, and you'll build a guitar.   

The community here is growing rapidly, and there are always people here to help out with any questions you encounter along the way.

🙂

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

pdxguitar, Boo, mark bailey and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
pdxguitar
(@pdxguitar)
Hobbyist
08/10/2020 7:49 pm  

@tv101 awesome thanks!

Boo, mark bailey, tv1 and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Deej
 Deej
(@deej)
Luthier
Rep Points: 3536
09/10/2020 12:46 am  

Hi and welcome @pdxguitar

I see you took the red pill....welcome to the real world...enjoy.

pdxguitar, Boo, mark bailey and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 1001
09/10/2020 10:06 am  

@pdxguitar

Aloha 

The course is awesome! It takes the doubt and guess work out. Welcome to the community and Mark’s long time students have guided me along the way within the past 6 months. Since then I’ve attained 6 guitar builds and be prepared because you’ll catch the guitar building bug. Truly is an awesome journey.

Clinton 

pdxguitar, Deej, Boo and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Edwin
(@e-den-hertog)
Customer
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 383
09/10/2020 10:43 am  

That was where I was, 13 years ago.  @markbailey won't remember after all this time, but before I stepped inside his workshop, I couldn't saw a piece of wood in half without something going wrong.

I can testify to that. I was there to witness it.......

Measure once, cut straight away and maybe you're lucky......

pdxguitar, Deej, Boo and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Rep Points: 5581
09/10/2020 10:44 am  

@e-den-hertog

😝

Deej and Boo liked
ReplyReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Guitar Making God
09/10/2020 10:52 am  

Cheers @pdxguitar - glad you found us - great to have you here! You should have received an email with this link - I'll look into it...

Hope you enjoy the site - let us know if you need anything!

Free ebook and plans: https://guitarmaking.co.uk/guitar-plans-ebook/

Measure twice, cut once...

pdxguitar, Deej, Boo and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 3199
09/10/2020 3:24 pm  
Posted by: @

Hi Rich,

Welcome. Hope you enjoy the experience too. 

Cheers,

Russ

🙂🎸🙏🎶

pdxguitar, tv1, Deej and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 1788
09/10/2020 5:00 pm  

Hi Rich,

We (most) might be physically distant from you but we are right there by your side in spirit, especially when things go wrong. We love it when that happens, it makes us all feel so much better about our own 'accidental opportunities to learn'!!

Only joking, you'll find us quite an encouraging bunch and Mark's teaching video are just fantastic. By breaking the process down into small manageable steps he really has made it possible for pretty much anyone to make their own guitar. If you are ever concerned about any aspect of machining or using powered wood working tools then please just give a shout out in the forum. You need all of those wiggly bits on the end of your hands to play the very things that you are going to be making!

Cheers

Darren

pdxguitar, Deej, Boo and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5688
09/10/2020 9:06 pm  

@pdxguitar Hey Rich, welcome to the forum, it’s good to have you here. 

You have joined at a really good time because some of us here are going through the Build Your Own Electric Guitar Online course again, building Mark’s Bailey Bandsman guitar. If this interests you, I (and others) will be uploading pictures and videos of my progress, step by step as I (we) do it, following Mark’s videos. This not only allows Mark to monitor my (our) progress and discipline but it also leaves a record for others to reference and see all the mistakes we make. I am going to be open and document all the mistakes, but more importantly, how I recovered from and fixed them. Mistakes are many, perfection is a myth but you will build a guitar that works and you may catch the not so mythical guitar building bug, it’s highly addictive! 

Sign up when you are ready and start with the Design Your Own Electric Guitar course and you will get all the information you will need to get started. If you have any questions, just ask any of us, we are here most days. I am in the UK so our communication may be asynchronous as we are in different time zones but I’ll (we’ll) look out for your questions. Of course @markbailey has the last word on anything and keeps an eye on our conversations and “advice” to each other to make sure it’s sound advice. Anytime you want Mark to answer, just tag him into your question using his handle, like this. @markbailey 

Come and join us soon and prepare to amaze yourself! 

Boo 

pdxguitar, tv1 and Deej liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5688
09/10/2020 9:15 pm  

@pdxguitar Hey Rich, here is the link to my online build (for the second time for me) https://guitarmaking.co.uk/community/showcase-electric/byoeg-online-bandsman-2/  

Others may do the same. 

And, one of my online guitar teachers lives in Portland, Paul Gilbert. 

pdxguitar, tv1 and Deej liked
ReplyReplyQuote
pdxguitar
(@pdxguitar)
Hobbyist
10/10/2020 11:38 pm  

Awesome thanks for the warm welcome everyone!  I am diving in to the "Design your own guitar" videos this weekend.

Boo, tv1 and Deej liked
ReplyReplyQuote
pdxguitar
(@pdxguitar)
Hobbyist
11/10/2020 1:13 am  

Wondering if anyone has bought the electric kit and shipped to the US.  How long did it take?  Also anyone else have any luck just buying all the parts on their own?  I feel like my best chance at success is using the exact same parts that are used in the how to videos.  

Boo, tv1 and Deej liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Bill Flude
(@frocesterbill)
Luthier
Rep Points: 1308
11/10/2020 7:23 am  

I bought a kit for my first home build for that reason, to make my build a close fit to the course build but that was shipped to the UK.   I did add a cap to the kit and had the body blank thickness reduced before it was shipped.

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

pdxguitar, Boo, tv1 and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2